    like one that is somewhat PC compatible because I know x86 assembly
    and C pretty well, but the 386ex and amd boards that I have been able
    to find are all very expensive. Many thanks for any input.

    BitNybbler, Sep 7, 2003

  2. BitNybbler

    Rich Webb Guest

    Both Atmel and Microchip have free assembly development platforms for
    their chips (AVR and PIC, respectively). Both have inexpensive
    commercial C compilers and the AVR's are also supported by a gcc port.

    There are inexpensive programmers for both, as well as build-your-own
    plans on the web. You'll probably prefer to stick with the in-system
    programmable (ISP) varieties of each. Some of the more recent PICs are
    ISP-capable, all of the AVRs are.

    I suppose that the PIC would be more x86-like, what with the narrow,
    specialized register set and memory banks & pages. I think that you'll
    find the AVRs more comfortable. YMMV.

    Rich Webb, Sep 7, 2003

  3. I have a "Homebrew Basic Stamp 2" which is $21. See
    http://www.phanderson.com/stamp/

    However, the BasicX BX24 is a far more powerful device than the Basic
    Stamp. See http://www.phanderson.com/basicx/

    Peter H Anderson

    Peter H Anderson, Sep 8, 2003
  4. BitNybbler

    Brian Guest

    Brian, Sep 8, 2003
  5. BitNybbler

    Don McKenzie Guest

    have a look at:
    http://www.dontronics.com/auto.html
    and
    http://www.dontronics.com/dt006.html

    in about 2 weeks we will have
    http://www.dontronics.com/staver.html

    --
    Don McKenzie E-mail: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
    Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

    USB to RS-232 Converter that works
    http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html
    The World's Largest Range of Atmel/AVR & PICmicro Hardware and
    Software

    Don McKenzie, Sep 8, 2003