    I'm currently running XP Pro on an Epox (VIA based) mobo, I could
    "down"grade to WinME if that'd help. I'm not overclocking but I didn't with
    the last card either.

    Draxen, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Draxen

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Is it preventable ? Not entirely...

    I had it bad... my screen would just go into standby requiring a reboot
    usually whilst performing CPU intensive activities - ie Prime 95 and more
    frustratingly CM4.

    Thru many months of time spent testing out BIOS settings I came to these
    conclusions;

    It can be generated by enabled certain BIOS settings best to load fail safe
    settings and leave it

    The route cause can also be bad or failing memory stick in my particular
    case I`d been pushing my PC2700 to 180fsb shortly after which the problem
    started happening - after replacing the ram with the exact same module but
    brand new I never got the problem again except when enabling certain BIOS
    settings.

    Other people claim that an inadequate or failing PSU can also cause the
    problem.

    So its preventable in that if you don`t mess with your BIOS settings or
    overclock your memory your less likely to get it - of course things can fail
    by themselves too...

    Nick Le Lievre, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Also some people claim that it can happen under Windows XP when running CPU
    at 133mhz and memory out of sync at 166mhz but is ok under other operating
    systems.

    I did need to test out this possible cause but you can see how if true it
    could cause some rather surprising info.

    Nick Le Lievre, Aug 31, 2003