info on ICS / IS7 design flaw

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Giles Harney, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Giles Harney

    Giles Harney Guest

    Giles Harney, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Giles Harney

    @ndrew Guest

    Thanks for that .. no good for me in Australia .. no Abit office to RMA here
    to o(
    regards
    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Giles Harney

    Rick Guest

    According to the thread Abit said they're probably going to handle the
    issue on a case-by-case/RMA basis, until the next hardware revision.
    They said fixed boards are due to enter the distributor channels within
    a month.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Just built an IC7 and the sound appears to be OK with (NO) pops, hiss or
    other noticeable distortion although I haven't tried the mike out yet. Is
    there some way to identify boards that may have the sound problem fixed ???
    O/S is Win2k-SP4.

    Regards,

    Rick P.
    ==========================>>>>>
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12382

    Although ABIT has not made any official acknowledgements they are accepting
    RMA's of the IC7 / IS7 for the problems mentioned in the above thread.

    R. A. Pazderski, Jul 8, 2003
  5. RickW

    When you say (case by case basis), do you mean SOME boards are BAD and
    others may be OK ??

    I realize the IC7 will (not) work out of the box for most, BUT once one gets
    the Bios setup properly, it is very fast and stable. With a 2.8, I can
    easily hit 3.3 with a 1:1 ratio using XMS3700 memory at factory timings.

    So what are customers to do?? RMA (NEW) boards now and get on a replacement
    list or wait until an official Abit announcement which may be outside a
    vendor's return policy period ??

    I have built only Asus since the early 90s, so it makes me extremely mad
    that I may have a bad board the first time I build an Abit product !! The
    IC7 feature set is all I want / need as I use Wi-Fi to network.

    Regards,

    Rick P.
    ===============================>>>>>>

    R. A. Pazderski, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Giles Harney

    Rick Guest

    No. According to the thread, all IC7/G/IS7 boards have the problem.
    Apparently the original design specs were fine, the problem surfaced
    when Abit did "component reductions" prior to releasing the boards
    to manufacture. Several components were removed and values were
    changed on others. Yet another example of bean counters getting
    the upper hand at Abit.
    The issue has nothing to do with speed.
    If the boards are within your retailer's return period you can return
    them and wait for the fixed version, or RMA them back to Abit.
    Mistakes happen.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Giles Harney

    R. Pazderski Guest

    RickW,

    I appreciate the info and should have done more research before purchasing
    the board. Called NewEgg and explained the situation. They gave me an RMA
    number for (FULL) Credit over the phone and told me to return the IC7. They
    also indicated that when they receive the (NEW) Revision of the IC7, it will
    be posted as such on their site.

    Glad you guys posted the thread. Normally I do better research but just got
    lazy this time.

    Best Regards,

    Rick P.

    R. Pazderski, Jul 9, 2003