infra red port for remote control

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by danny cloake, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. danny cloake

    danny cloake Guest

    I recently acquired a laptop with the Infrared port on it and was
    familiarizing myself with my machine when I started to wonder whether
    the IR port will do home control activities.

    For instance, most of us probably have a remote for the TV and VCR,
    maybe some of us have the X10 home controllers, some stereo equipment
    uses remotes, etc.

    Rather than spending hours re-inventing the wheel, and the endless
    frustration associated, I thought I'd ask here if anyone else had had
    similiar thoughts? Can these IR ports handle the TV, VCR, Stereo or
    X10 equipment? Anybody actually experimented with this yet? Does
    it work? Know of any software out there to do this?

    I realize it seems frivolous to spend $1200 or more on a computer
    to act like a remote control, when a remote costs about $20 or $30.
    For efficiency, it just seems more practical to simply whip the mouse
    around the screen to crank the volume or change channels rather
    than stopping to grab the remote.

    ****this is a repost of a question that another guy asked in 2001.
    though he did not get any good enough answers****

    danny cloake, Nov 28, 2003

  2. danny cloake

    David L Guest

    Some palm pilots can do this, but i still don't see a purpose. Who carries
    their notebook around the house with them to use it as a remote control. Are
    people really this lazy? An all in one for $10. There you go.

    Dave

    David L, Nov 28, 2003