    have the Ink anotations buttons (in Office 2003 professional) showing but
    inactive (greyed). Is there some way I can configure the tablet to work like
    a tablet pc and have the handwriting and ink options available to me ?

    joyce, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Chris has answered a similar question to this, and his reply was that no you
    can't. WinXP Tablet Edition has special functionality. And that the wacom
    tablets cant send data fast enough for inking.
    Honestly, you may want to try updating the drivers (for the wacom), and that
    may enable it, I doubt it but it might. Also try asking in the Office
    Newsgroup.
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx
    They may be better help.
    -James

    flibbertigibbet007, Mar 2, 2005

  3. joyce

    Chris H. Guest

    Joyce, you "sort of" can do that with the external Wacom writing pad because
    Office 2003 has built-in "handwriting" capabilities. It isn't configuration
    of your writing pad, but making sure the handwriting component is install in
    Office. Although not as good as on a Tablet PC, it may just make you want
    the "real thing." LOL!

    However, the Office 2003 handwriting functionality is not available unless
    you specifically do a "custom" install. To check that, go into Control
    Panel, Add or Remove Programs and find the listing for Microsoft Office.
    When you single click on the listing, you'll see two buttons pop up on the
    right side, Change and Remove.

    Click Change, then on the first screen put a dot in the radial next to Add
    or Remove Features, then click the Next button. On the new screen, make
    sure all your component programs for Office that you want installed have
    check marks in their respective boxes, then put a check in "Choose advanced
    customization of applications, and click the Next button at the bottom.

    Scroll the listing down to Office Share Features, click the + sign on the
    left, then look for the listing "Microsoft Handwriting Component." Click
    the little "down arrow" and select "Run from my computer" and then click the
    Update button. This will install the Handwriting Component for the Office
    applications.

    You should then be set to go, but I would restart your computer before
    opening any of the Office applications to try the Handwriting. Just
    remember, this handwriting only pertains to the Office programs which
    support it, and does not compare with the speed or recognition qualities of
    digital setup on Tablet PCs. They're two different items.

    Chris H., Mar 2, 2005
  4. joyce

    Chris H. Guest

    Not entirely correct, James. Office does have "handwriting" functionality
    built in, however it doesn't compare to Tablet PC's digital recognizers in
    speed or accuracy. They're two different engines and systems. The Office
    handwriting must be specifically installed (see my reply to Joyce), and then
    is limited to within the Office family programs which support it. It does
    not use the same recognizers (no matter the input) available only on a
    Tablet PC.

    Chris H., Mar 2, 2005
  5. joyce

    joyce Guest

    Hi Chris
    Thank you for outlining how I might achieve active ink anotations
    I did as you have explained here and have enabled voice and handwriting
    recognition to run from my computer as well as the "handwriting" under the
    office share features, but whilst the voice and handwriting recognition
    functions are active, the ink anotation buttons are still greyed out and
    inactive, is there somthing I have missed ?

    joyce, Mar 3, 2005
  6. joyce

    Chris H. Guest

    Joyce, you may need to launch the "Ink" toolbars first by going to (in Word)
    View/Toolbars and selecting (clicking on) Ink Annotations, Ink Comments and
    Ink Drawing & Writing. If that doesn't work for you try to look in the Help
    section. If you have a broadband Internet connection, and do an Office
    Online search (one of the search options) for "ink". You will get a whole
    lot of helpful information in the results.

    If you continue to have issues, I would suggest posting to one of the Office
    newsgroups where an Office MVP would be better able to assist you directly.

    Chris H., Mar 3, 2005