    very happy with)

    Thanks.

    -- Paul

    Paul, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Christopher Muto, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Paul

    RRR_News Guest

    Configuration page for the Inspiron1000:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i1000F2&s=dhs

    Under "Help me choose"/Details section of the page, it states that there are 2 slots for the unit, with one slot containing a hardwired/soldered 256MB stick, and an opened slot, that you can add another stick, for the total of 512MB of RAM. So you should be able to upgrade to unit. But you will need to order another stick from a 3rd party vendor such as www.crucial.com , or the parts section from Dell.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    I'm looking at the low end Inspiron 1000 at $579 after rebate -- would be
    nice if it could be upped to 512MB in the future -- does anyone know if this
    is truly limited to 256MB RAM as Dell says? Did they do something like
    not put in an access door for the RAM slot? Maybe they crippled the BIOS
    so it won't see more than 256MB?

    Also any comments on the hardware platform this notebook is based on --
    reliability compared to the Inspiron 1150 for example (which we have been
    very happy with)

    Thanks.

    -- Paul

    RRR_News, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Dell says it'll take 512M; it will likely take 1G, but they won't
    guarantee it.

    Caveats about this machine:

    DO NOT take the 90-day warranty. Repair parts are just as expensive as
    on better systems - i.e., a new mainboard would still run you $700. If
    you don't plan to use it longer than a year, get a year's warranty; if
    you have long-term plans for it, get 3 years at minimum.

    The base battery is a NiMH unit - short runtime.

    The video is integrated into the chipset, which is not Intel (it uses a
    SiS chipset). It is basically a 2D-only chipset - forget 3D apps; it's
    too slow and it is not upgradeable.

    A lot of people on the Dell forums are complaining bitterly about the
    low-end Inspiron and Dimension systems as far as performance
    (particularly gaming) goes. If that's your intended purpose, look
    elsewhere - this is a budget office machine, not a gaming notebook.

    You don't get, what you don't pay for.

    Edward J. Neth, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Paul

    scott_19512 Guest

    I have a Inspiron 1000 and have 512 mb ram in it. That is the max it
    will take
    with the bios it has. But im sure it would be all you need for this
    computer.
    This is a simple business computer for internet, word processing and
    solitare.
    I`ve tried games on it and its too slow!! Its ok for DVD viewing and
    such. I got
    it with the DVD, CDRW burner works great! But battery time 1.5 hours
    tops.

    scott_19512, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Paul

    tc2015

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2016
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Dell inspiron with a A08 BIOS will recognize a total of 1.25Gb of RAM, 256MB n board, and a 1GB socketted SODIMM. If it doesn't recognize it, you have the wrong RAM type or chip config on the SODIMM. This RAM for sure works http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002821X4?
    (ACP-EP Memory 1GB PC2700 200-PIN DDR 333MHz SODIMM (PC))
    It was $7.90 delivered in 2/2016.
    Allowed me to load Windows 7 on the machine and dump XP and all it's warnings. Good for another few years until they dump Win7 and start nagging us that it's done. I also configured a dedicated 4GB swap partition on the first 4GB (the fast end) of the 250GB drive (only 135GB will be recognized due to the BIOS or ATA chipset) and I set up a Verbatim 32GB USB 3 NANO thumb drive as a 4GB ready boost swap file as well (FAT32 worked the fastest for the thumbdrive format). Now I have an additional 28GB of pretty fast storage.
    The i1000's USB ports are only USB 2 but the USB3 thumb drives do perform better in USB2 slots from my testing, and heck, they are only $12/32GB at MicroCenter these days. The Toshiba and Transcend thumbs are faster but since it's only USB 2 hardware, I opted for the super tiny "always connected" NANO thumbdrive size for this machine. It's going back to mom and dad's as a 2nd den machine for checking email and light duty internet use. This machine will just barely stream youtube videos BTW.
    Had Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it for 3 years when it only had 512MB in it, and that was a snappy OS but the browser performance was no better and I suspect with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a minimum upgrade now it would be the same as the win7 performance with more hassle and driver problems. (power save modes usually aren't supported well on these old machines)

    tc2015, Feb 25, 2016