    up upgrades).

    Thanks,
    HMC

    HMC, Feb 23, 2006

  2. HMC

    Tom Scales Guest

    Go to www.crucial.com and look it up. Everything you need and a reliable
    vendor.

    Tom Scales, Feb 23, 2006

  3. the inspiron 1000 has 256mb integrated memory and one expansion slot for
    additional memory. the system max is 512mb achieved by installed a 256mb
    modules in the one memory socket.

    for system documentation and more vist support.dell.com and look select your
    computer in the right hand column.
    or go here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1000/en/index.htm

    Christopher Muto, Feb 23, 2006
  4. HMC

    HMC Guest

    Thanks Chris (and Tom). I looked at the manual, and I guess I mis-read it.
    When it said it had only one SODIMM slot, I thought that meant I had only
    one slot to work with. But then it says:
    a) each slot can only hold 256MB
    b) max memory is 512MB

    Thanks for making me re-read the manual.It's too bad the 256MB is non
    removable, b/c it got damaged some how and now only shows up as 224MB
    (unless 26MB are being taken up by graphics or something)

    Thanks again,
    HMC

    HMC, Feb 24, 2006
  5. HMC

    Jay B Guest

    yes the graphics is probably using the 32 mb of memory as shared.

    Jay B, Feb 24, 2006
  6. HMC

    Tom Scales Guest

    They are used by graphics. If they were damaged, the machine wouldn't boot.

    Tom Scales, Feb 24, 2006
  7. HMC

    tc2015

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2016
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Dell inspiron with a A08 BIOS will recognize a total of 1.25Gb of RAM, 256MB n board, and a 1GB socketted SODIMM. If it doesn't recognize it, you have the wrong RAM type or chip config on the SODIMM. This RAM for sure works http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002821X4?
    (ACP-EP Memory 1GB PC2700 200-PIN DDR 333MHz SODIMM (PC))
    It was $7.90 delivered in 2/2016.
    Allowed me to load Windows 7 on the machine and dump XP and all it's warnings. Good for another few years until they dump Win7 and start nagging us that it's done. I also configured a dedicated 4GB swap partition on the first 4GB (the fast end) of the 250GB drive (only 135GB will be recognized due to the BIOS or ATA chipset) and I set up a Verbatim 32GB USB 3 NANO thumb drive as a 4GB ready boost swap file as well (FAT32 worked the fastest for the thumbdrive format). Now I have an additional 28GB of pretty fast storage.
    The i1000's USB ports are only USB 2 but the USB3 thumb drives do perform better in USB2 slots from my testing, and heck, they are only $12/32GB at MicroCenter these days. The Toshiba and Transcend thumbs are faster but since it's only USB 2 hardware, I opted for the super tiny "always connected" NANO thumbdrive size for this machine. It's going back to mom and dad's as a 2nd den machine for checking email and light duty internet use. This machine will just barely stream youtube videos BTW.
    Had Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it for 3 years when it only had 512MB in it, and that was a snappy OS but the browser performance was no better and I suspect with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a minimum upgrade now it would be the same as the win7 performance with more hassle and driver problems. (power save modes usually aren't supported well on these old machines)

    tc2015, Feb 25, 2016