Inspiron 1100 running slower and slower...

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Damien, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Damien

    Damien Guest

    Hello all,

    I bought an Inspiron 1100 (2.0GHz, 128MB) Windows XP back in August
    and have been using it mostly with MS Office and the web (160 ADSL
    here in Paris). Lately, like the past few weeks, the thing has been
    moving slower and slower. Especially when starting up. I know it was
    never very fast, but was a lot faster (acceptable) a few months ago.

    I'm not an expert, but would love to reformat the hard disk, and put
    back only the programs that I need. Is there a way (not too complex)
    to erase everything to get a "clean slate"? Or do I even want to do
    this? I have service coverage, but have the feeling Dell is not going
    to be easy to get help from.

    Any advice?

    Thanks,
    Damien

    Damien, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Damien

    Rich/rerat Guest

    Damien,
    There are some powerful viruses and PC hijacking software floating out there, these days.

    A. Before you even consider reformatting your HDD!

    ***Most Important Item:
    1. Make sure you have the have the Windows COA (25 digit) # for your copy of XP, there should be a sticker some where on your PC. I would copy it, and keep safe, just incase the PC sticker falls off PC, or becomes unreadable.

    2. Make sure that you back-up any data that you want to keep, reformatting will delete all files on that drive/partition.

    3. Make sure that you have ALL the Dell CD's that you will need to reload Windows, hardware drivers, PC software, with you.

    B. You might consider the following before you consider reformatting:

    1. Make sure that your Anti-virus program is up to date, also I would get a Adware/Spareware detection program, and see if there is anything on your PC slowing things up. You can get 'Ad-Aware' from lavasoft.com at:

    2. You really need to upgrade the RAM on that notebook, 128MB is not enough. Really you need at least 256MB, preferably 512MB. You will need to find a PC store in Paris, or order online from European contries.

    3. If you are using OE , you should do some housekeeping and get rid of unwanted messages in the mail folders. Then manually 'Compact' your message folders. And do this on a regular basis. If using Outlook, there may be a similar process, using that application.

    4. Also I would under Control Panel> Internet Options> Delete Temp Internet Files, including Off-line content.

    5. Also you will probably need to use disk clean-up, defrag, ckdisk (scandisk), your HDD.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Rich/rerat, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Damien

    BigJIm Guest

    the first thing you could do is upgrade your memory to 256 megs.
    Then if norton is on your system uninstall it and get another anti virus
    program.
    If you cant leave norton on.

    BigJIm, Feb 10, 2004