    How is the time kept? Is it a counter that it's
    missing interrupts for? Is there an adjustment?

    Not sure what to look at.

    Ron Hardin, Oct 30, 2007

  2. Ron Hardin

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    There are two clocks, one in hardware and one in software. Both have
    separate timing references. If you're losing time when the machine is
    running, it's probably the software clock that's having trouble. If
    interrupt 0 doesn't get "hit" often enough, the clock will lose time.

    Have you updated any device drivers or installed new software
    recently? Checked to see if a program is caught in a loop from the
    Task Manager?

    William

    wm_walsh, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    No changes except daylight/standard time automatic change.

    I rebooted finally and it fixed itself, however.

    The only ``new'' thing running was a shell script that did a netstat -a
    every ten minutes to check that a ssh connection hadn't died.

    Maybe netstat masks interrupts, I don't know. I can't imagine anything
    masking a clock interrupt though. Loops shouldn't matter, interrupts don't
    see them.

    Ron Hardin, Oct 31, 2007
  4. Ron Hardin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Going back to my bad old days as a programmer writing low-level software in
    assembler for DOS, lots and lots and lots of events can mask interrupts. It
    all depends on how sloppy the programming is. My software recorded events with
    time stamps, and the data reduction part of the software had to account for lost
    ticks of the time clock, which occured because the time-updating interrupt
    service routine could not service clock tick interrupts.

    Just for grins, fun and education, how about disabling the netstat script to see
    what happens then? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 31, 2007
  5. Ron Hardin

    Tom Scales Guest

    Probably needs a new motherboard battery. The service manual will show
    how to change it.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2007
  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    It's ``fixed'' by a reboot. It's happened twice now.
    Once it starts losing time, it keeps losing time, until
    you reboot it.

    In any case it's running on mains power all the time.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Ron Hardin

    Tom Scales Guest

    I still think it could be the motherboard battery. Doesn't matter if it
    is plugged in. It needs that little battery to keep time.

    Tom Scales, Nov 28, 2007