    Does anyone have any insight into when we will be able to get coupons
    and purchase this laptop at a reasonable price?

    Thanks!

    Compulady, Oct 3, 2007

  2. Compulady

    Tom Scales Guest

    Consider the outlet. I didn't look to see if any were Ruby Red (very
    few probably are, most are black), but there are seven pages of 1520
    models in stock.

    I bought an outlet 1420 about four weeks ago and got a fantastic deal
    and really love it. My daughter has the 6000, which is the same size as
    the 1520, and I like the 1420 SO much better. Just enough smaller and
    lighter.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Compulady

    Compulady Guest

    I'm actually looking for a model with a high-end processor (4 mb
    cache), 2 gb memory, 256 mb video. Unfortunately, there aren't many in
    the outlet like this.

    Compulady, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Compulady

    Tom Scales Guest

    They do show up. My 1420 is the T7300, which is the 4MB cache. I
    understand that they are in the process of moving the outlet from Austin
    to Nashville. The low stock on the website makes that believeable.

    Tom Scales, Oct 4, 2007
  5. Compulady

    Compulady Guest

    What I'd really like to know is when are they going to start offering
    deals and coupons on the Inspiron 1550. Right now, it doesn't pay.

    Compulady, Oct 5, 2007
  6. Compulady

    Tony Harding Guest

    Patience and you need to check frequently, the Outlet is *very*
    volatile. I was looking for an XPS410/9200 earlier this year. I found a
    great configuration, but didn't jump on it quickly enough and lost it. I
    kept checking and a few days/week later I got a better config for less.
    2 important things IMHO:

    1. know/decide what you're looking for, e.g., model, processor, RAM, etc.

    2. check frequently

    3. jump on it when you see your config.

    .... 3 things:

    1. know/decide what you're looking for, e.g., model, processor, RAM, etc.

    2. check frequently

    3. jump on it when you see your config.

    4. an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope

    .... <g>

    Seriously, I ended up with a great XPS410:

    System Summary

    System Type: XPS/Dimension 410/9200
    PROCESSOR, 6600, 2.4, 4M, CORE DUO-CONROE, BURN 2
    DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 2G, 2X1G, 667, 2R, NON ECC
    WINDOWS XP, MCE05U, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, ENGLAND/ENGLISH,
    FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, NEC CORPORATION, DIMENSION,
    MODEM, SONNY, INTERNAL, DIMENSION, (I'd forgotten about this)
    DVD+/-RW, Serial ATA, NEC CORPORATION, CHASSIS 2005, 2, BLACK
    HARD DRIVE, 250GB, S2, #1, LEAD FREE, WD-HAWK
    COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO Serial ATA, BLACK

    The E6600 processor and 2GB of memory were my deal makers. Soon after I
    received it I trashed MCE and installed XP Pro, which I'm still running
    as a type this.

    $719 plus tax & shipping.

    Tony Harding, Oct 5, 2007
  7. Compulady

    Tom Scales Guest

    The deals are getting even better. I bought almost the same machine
    this week for $749, but it included the Q6600 quad core and a 320Gb hard
    drive.

    Curious why you dumped MCE, since it IS XP Pro minus the ability to join
    a domain. Do you have a domain server at home?

    Tom Scales, Oct 6, 2007
  8. Compulady

    Tony Harding Guest

    No, I had problems with MCE, i.e., a required driver was either missing
    or corrupted, so MCE went into an endless loop noting the error and
    rebooting, noting the error and rebooting, etc.

    Tony Harding, Oct 7, 2007
  9. Compulady

    Ben Myers Guest

    With MCE, you must have been given a preview of one of the features built into
    Vista to enhance security. Just think of the progress here. If you can't use
    your computer at all, it simply won't get infected by viruses, worms, malware
    and spyware. The last word in computer security... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2007
  10. Compulady

    Tony Harding Guest

    Thanks, Ben! Reminds me of the joke circulating around IBM OS
    installations 35-40 years ago. The latest release of OS/360 was
    installed and everything was perfect; e.g., all pointers correct, Task
    Scheduler running correctly, etc., only glitch was it consumed 100% of
    CPS cycles so no customer jobs could be run.

    Tony Harding, Oct 8, 2007