Inspiron 1545 Doesn't Boot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dean-MN, Jan 4, 2014.

  1. Dean-MN

    Dean-MN Guest

    Hi,
    I am working on an Inspiron 1545 that won't boot. The report I have is that
    it was working okay when a window appeared from the FBI demanding a payment
    of $300. I know. It was the FBI Moneypak virus. That scarred my
    granddaughter into shutting the notebook down. When she tried to start it
    again, it didn't boot. It has an Intel T4400 2.2 GHz processor, 4 (2X2) GB
    RAM, 15.6HDF LED LCD, Windows 7HP.

    The symptoms are...
    The fan spins briefly then is quiet.
    The DVD+/-RW drive light blinks. The drive door will open and spin when a
    Hiren's Boot Disk is inserted.
    A bootable USB light blinks once at startup.
    There is not anything visible on the display.
    Same when an external monitor is hooked up.
    There are no beep sounds.
    The same symptoms weather the battery is mounted or removed. The battery is
    recently replaced.
    There are no hot spots on the case when in "run" mode.
    The HDD and memory modules have been reseated.
    When the power button is pressed a second time, nothing happens and the
    machine appears to be in "off" mode.

    I am the go-to guy for computer repair and am knowledgeable to a point but
    am stumped with a machine that refuses to start. I could use suggestions on
    where to start. Could these symptoms be caused by a bad HDD or is a dead
    motherboard more likely?

    Dean...

    Dean-MN, Jan 4, 2014

  2. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    If it was mine I would remove the HDD, hook it as a USB drive ($15 adapter) and check it with MalwareBytes or Super Anti-Spyware on another LT or DT PC.

    Bob_Villa, Jan 4, 2014

  3. Dean-MN

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not sure why it will no longer power on cleanly. Here is possibly one lastthing to try. Remove the battery and disconnect power supply. Now hold down the on-off button for about 10 seconds to discharge the CMOS. Now try again.

    If that does not work, open up the chassis (remove keyboard?) and disconnect the wire leads for the yellow or blue CMOS battery from the motherboard. Wait 30 sec. Try again. If successful, the system will boot up to a message that says the CMOS battery is low or missing.

    Sometimes the CMOS memory gets corrupted, making a clean boot-up impossible.. These FBI Moneypak scumbags may have messed up the CMOS settings as one final touch to their damage... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Dean-MN

    Dean-MN Guest

    Thanks Bob. I have a Vantec CB-ISATAU2 ordered from Newegg.
    Thanks Ben. I had forgotten about the CMOS discharge trick.
    Removing the battery, unplugging the power supply, holding down the power
    button down for 20 minutes had no effect. The CMOS battery holder is
    soldered to the underside of the motherboard and is not accessible without a
    major teardown. I'm thinking that as long as it appears the motherboard is
    going to be removed, a replacement might as well be installed at that time.
    Motherboards for the 1545 are all over the Internet for as little as $45 and
    I have the knowledge, instructions, time and no fear so might just as well
    do it. Dean...

    Dean-MN, Jan 6, 2014
  5. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    I just put an SSD in my old 1545 (for speed and battery use). It didn't seeit in the BIOS even after formatting in a desktop. After searching forums turns-out it is just different enough to not plug into the M/B! Turn the LTright-side up and it plugged-in correctly...go figure!

    Bob_Villa, Jan 6, 2014
  6. Dean-MN

    Ben Myers Guest

    FWIW, save yourself a lot of time and buy a 1545 motherboard already in thesystem chassis. I have sold numerous Dell laptop boards this way to make for a much easier repair than removing the motherboard from the chassis, replacing it with a naked motherboard. Right now, I do not have any 1545 boards available, just Inspiron 1525, 1440 and 1501 boards, all on eBay. Removing a motherboard from a laptop bottom chassis is pretty low on my list offavorite tasks, even if the laptop bottom is badly damaged and I have the same chassis, empty and in good condition... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2014
  7. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Ben, did you ever run into this (with an SSD)? There are forums that say Dells are finicky about these drives but ppl may just be having problems withthem seating properly. $.02

    Bob_Villa, Jan 12, 2014
  8. Dean-MN

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Jan 14, 2014
  9. Dean-MN

    pedro Guest

    Guys, a lot of us follow these threads to pick up info and tips.

    But, in the nicest possible way, can you consider trimming responses
    rather than just adding to a long post (which already is largely full
    of white space), requiring readers to scroll all the way to the bottom
    to see a shortish response, often a one-liner?

    For example:

    which took 207 lines, while the followup

    occupied 397 lines and the response:

    resulted in a post of 774 lines.

    pedro, Jan 14, 2014
  10. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    We'll try! 8^P

    Bob_Villa, Jan 14, 2014
  11. Dean-MN

    Ben Myers Guest

    And some people like to read an entire thread all in a single message. Youcan't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 19, 2014
  12. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    I got caught once! *J*