Inspiron 4000 modem/nic combo unit (nic disabled?)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Keegan, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Keegan

    Keegan Guest

    I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this. I recently
    purchased a Dell Inspiron 4000 from a buddy (he got it off eBay).

    The laptop has a modem/nic combo unit built into the side of it. The modem
    works fine but the nic doesn't. In fact, lodged into the nic port is a
    piece of plastic. It wouldn't come out easily, so I had to get a screw
    driver and pry it out.

    I then formatted the drive, and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP
    Professional and when I went into Device Manager there wasn't a category for
    Network Adaptors. (There is one for modem however) If I click view/hidden
    devices then the 'Network Adaptors' category shows up with other devices,
    none of which are the nic in the combo unit.

    I went to Dell's support page and tried every single Network Driver listed
    for the Inspiron 4000's and still nothing worked.

    I e-mailed Dell support and they said that no combo unit was shipped with
    this computer, only a modem.

    Would Dell ship a computer that has these combo units and not activate the
    nic? Is it possible that the original owner chose not to pay for a LAN port
    so Dell simply deactivated via jumpers on the motherboard and then wedged a
    hard piece of plastic in it?

    Any answers you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

    Keegan, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Keegan

    Hugh Jellie Guest

    I have one of this model with the NIC combo unit, mine works fine and the
    drivers are on the website for the Inspiron 4000. I am not sure but I
    believe they all had the combo card. It sounds like yours is broken. There
    is a removable panel on the back you can open it up and look to see the card
    you have installed.

    Hugh Jellie, Jul 25, 2003