    have any idea what it might be? Its no longer under warranty :(

    Appreciate it,

    El.

    Ellarco, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Ellarco

    Quaoar Guest

    On battery, AC power, or both?

    Quaoar, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Ellarco

    Ellarco Guest

    Should have said. Both.

    Ive just had it to pieces and saw nothing obvious (loose, burnt, ...). Its
    crazy. I just have to tap it and off it goes.

    Ellarco, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Ellarco

    Quaoar Guest

    The obvious first place to look is the area on the mainboard around the
    AC jack for a crack, etc., due to flexure of the AC adapter plug. That
    the problem exists on battery points to the entire AC/battery switching
    circuit involved which is probably deeper in the board than just the
    area immediately around the AC jack. In addition, since the problem is
    intermittent it might be a simple break in a board trace or solder joint
    that can be repaired with conductive epoxy or solder.

    Another area might be the power key/cable to mainboard. In any event,
    if you open the case, take a look at everything very closely before
    removing the next part or cable. You might get lucky and find the
    source through inspection.

    BTW, check that the battery is firmly inserted.

    Quaoar, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Ellarco

    Ellarco Guest

    Had another close look but cant see anything. Im starting to think that it
    might be hard-drive related though (for no particularly good reason).

    Guess Ill just have to send it off to be fixed ... Ch-ching :(

    Ellarco, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Ellarco

    TommyRay

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    5150 Design Flaws = Lawsuits & Complaints

    I was just now researching this problem of sudden power loss, and it seems that Dell has made a product that dies after approximately 15 months of use. Well out of warranty.

    It is a well documented problem, MANY people have complained. Dell likes to take $175 to "diagnose" at first, then charges to fix it, although they know darn well what the problem is.

    I'm just glad the thing aint MINE LOL, but hey, I wanted to fix it myself to make a few bucks. However, it'd take a complete overhaul of the motherboard to do so.

    Google up 5150 power loss, or 5150 lawsuit, see what ya git.

    TommyRay, Nov 17, 2006