    Is there something I should look for to get the fan speed back to a
    reasonable level?

    -- Paul

    Paul, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Paul

    Notan Guest

    Are all the air inlets/outlets unobstructed? Are they free of dust?

    How 'bout the inside of the computer? Is it also free of dust?

    What's the room temperature?

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Paul

    Tom Scales Guest

    Are you sure it isn't the fan on the video card (if you have the X300). It
    failed on my I9300 and they replaced the card under warranty. I thought a
    jet engine was inside the machine.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The room temperature is about 75F. I forgot about the blow-the-dust-out
    deal. I put the compressed air can on the processor area and quite a bit of
    dust came out. We shall see if that improves things. I assumed Dell had
    fixed that problem after the Inspiron 5100 disaster.

    -- Paul

    Paul, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Paul

    Phil Guest

    The fan will throttle up or down depending on the system's temps. If you
    feel there's no good reason for the laptop to be hot, it may be in need of a
    good dusting. Get yourself a can of compressed air and clean out the
    ventillation ducts. I do this with my I6000 at least once a month, and it
    makes a big difference.

    -phil

    Phil, Jul 9, 2006
  6. Paul

    Bruce Guest

    the duct be adequate, or do I have to partial disassemble (i.e. remove
    kbd) to get to the processor and other innards?

    I've also got a two year old i8600. Same approach?

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    Bruce, Jul 9, 2006
  7. Paul

    Notan Guest

    When it comes to laptops, if you're not going to (partially) disassemble it,
    I'd suggest a light vacuuming... Using compressed air *could* force dirt and
    dust into the system, even further.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 9, 2006
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Are all the air inlets/outlets unobstructed? Are they free of dust?

    I blew the dust out and the fan is running much quieter now, just like new,
    thanks.

    Note to others: I did not disassemble anything. Just blew the compressed
    air through all the various vents in the processor area.

    -- Paul

    Paul, Jul 10, 2006
  9. Paul

    Notan Guest

    With the limited number and size of inlets/outlets in a laptop, as compared
    to a desktop, frequent cleaning is critical.

    Glad things are quieter!

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 10, 2006
  10. Paul

    DanielS Guest

    Hi,

    I think the CPU heat sink fins are clogged with dust. Happens on a
    lot of Dell's (most notoriously the 1100 series' and 5100 series').
    Some laptop manufactrers like Toshiba provide a door with direct
    access to the heat sink (no such luck with dell's...sorry). I don't
    mean to put blame, but clogged heat sinks are usually worse in pet
    households. It can get so hot the paint melts off the air intake on
    the bottom of the laptop. (there's also a certain way to sit with the
    11xx/51xx machines, since blocking the air intake on the bottom will
    also overheat the system).

    If anyone has an inspiron 11xx or 51xx that's been "warmer" and
    noisier lately (and especially if it's out of warranty), I'd recommend
    taking the heat sink off (under the keyboard and metal panel, fastened
    in with four big shiny metal screws). Then lightly scraping the back
    of the copper fins. Then, while holding the fan in place, blow
    compressed air toward the fan, through the heat sink. You'll probably
    see a big thick wad of dust get stuck on the fan. Take a small metal
    object and pry-out the wad of dust. It's akin to removing the lint
    from the filter in a dryer. If you can't remove the heat sink from
    the laptop, you can blow compressed air into the copper fins, but it
    is only a patch.

    You can also purchase the heat sinks from Dell's website. If you
    don't remove the wad of dust from the back of the heat sink, there's a
    good chance the motherboard components will fail soon.

    One of my favorite website url's; Dell's warranty parts spreadsheets.
    Download the inspiron parts guide and find your heatsink. If you have
    trouble you can call dell with the service tag; they are extremely
    helpful (I just wish they had the inspiron 3500 in there...they missed
    it)
    http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/us/program/T1400000.asp

    DanielS, Jul 12, 2006