inspiron 600m and inspiron 6000 ...same thing?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by smsjr723, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. smsjr723

    smsjr723 Guest

    Hello.

    basic question. are the inspiron 600m laptops basically the same thing
    as the inspiron 6000 laptop.

    my question is in regards to general specs that a 3rd party type
    company might reference to list compatible laptops.

    basically... hard drive upgrade lists inspiron 600m as compatible but
    does not list 6000.

    is 600m sort of along the lines of saying 600?/x like 6000, 6001,
    etc? or are they completely different models. and i'm stuck with a
    replacement drive that doesn't fit.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.

    -Jerry

    smsjr723, Aug 11, 2006

  2. smsjr723

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, they're totally different. But any standard 9.5mm hard drive will fit
    in a 6000.

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2006

  3. smsjr723

    smsjr723 Guest

    Thank you for the response...

    ....sorry, but moron question number two...

    is a 9.5mm hard drive the same as a 2.5" drive? i'm just shakey on
    the terminology here.

    and if those two drive sizes are the same sort.

    any suggestions for getting my laptop to recognize a new drive... after
    my previous one crapped out... due to disc read errors.

    thanks again... and apologies ifn my questions are stupid

    -Jerry

    smsjr723, Aug 11, 2006
  4. smsjr723

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sort of. A 9.5mm is a 2.5", but a 2.5" is not necessarily a 9.5mm.

    Confusing enough?

    The 2.5" is the platter size. The 9.5mm is the height. Older 2.5mm were
    12.5mm high, which I don't believe will fit (might, but...). Newer 2.5" are
    9.5mm tall.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2006
  5. smsjr723

    smsjr723 Guest

    I appreciate your response.

    my hitachi drive is the 9.5mm size i believe. it's just missing some
    input do-hickie on the end of it.

    (so where... the drive housing ends... there's a tiny bit of plastic
    extending out...and the pins extend out of that... adds about a 1/4 in
    onto the reach of the drive. my hitachi drive doesn't have that...
    it's basically. casing, pins... so it dosen't reach the input jack
    when the caddy is inserted into the laptop.)

    spent awhile last night with Dell support... the gist is. it's made to
    only accept the sort of drives they provide, or contract out with
    toshiba.

    i've been searching for cheaper drives, but not finding much luck. the
    drives dell offers have a mark up that's unreasonable for hardware. so,
    i'm gonna see if maybe it's just a toshiba thing. avoid dell
    altogether

    i hate dell so much.

    smsjr723, Aug 11, 2006
  6. smsjr723

    Tom Scales Guest

    They're wrong. The little part you are seeing comes off the old drive. The
    old drive plugs into it and it plugs into the machine. Just carefully pull
    it off.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2006