Inspiron 8000 Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by brunij, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. brunij

    brunij Guest

    My system was up and running but I wasn't using it at the time. I
    looked over at it and the screen was blank, I could see the back light
    but it had a black screen. I thought it went into power save screen off
    mode, but after trying to bring it back with the usual key strike and
    so on it did nothing. I shut it down, which had to be done by holding
    the power button down.

    Now it will not boot, when I hit power the power light goes on, then
    after a couple seconds the HD light goes solid along with the caps lock
    and the one to the right of that. This happens for about 5 seconds,
    also during the 5 seconds I hear it hit the HD once, and the DVD drive
    light flashes and I hear it hit the drive twice. Then it powers off.
    There is never any output on the screen as you can imagine since this
    effort lasts under 10 seconds.

    What I've done so far to trouble shoot. Remove the DVD drive, moved
    memory all over the place in all configs, removed wireless card,
    reseated HD. None of this changed the behavior. I also pulled the HD
    and put it in an external case, nothing is wrong with the HD. I
    accessed it on my desktop, backed up data, and ran a scan without any
    issues. Tried with no batteries, both batteries, one battery, and on
    battery power only. Tried booting off of CD.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If the cmos battery died would
    it cause the system to have this behavior, or is the system board just
    gone? There were no noticeable symptoms before this happen.

    Thanks for any help!!

    brunij, Aug 3, 2006

  2. It sounds most likely like a system board problem, but some questions:

    -Can you get into BIOS setup?
    -Can you boot from a bootable floppy or CD?

    A bad CMOS battery usually would not cause this, but I won't say never.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 3, 2006

  3. brunij

    brunij Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    - It doesn't get far enough for me to get into BIOS.
    - I haven't tried a floppy but I have tried a CD and it doesn't do
    anything.

    brunij, Aug 3, 2006
  4. brunij

    bayrrej Guest

    Did you ever resolve this issue? I have an 8000 with the exact same
    symptoms. I've even replaced the motherboard with no resolution.

    Appreciate any response.

    Thanks,
    Jerry

    bayrrej, Aug 25, 2006
  5. brunij

    takuya Guest

    I am interested in this as well. I am having the same problem with
    mine, but it only happens some of the time. Sometimes I can get it
    to boot, others it will go into the dell screen and then lock up,
    others it will lock up in the Windows screen and yet other times it
    will just blink the lights at me and then shut right down.

    Weird.....

    takuya, Sep 1, 2006