Inspiron 8100 Freezes during hard disks accesses

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Thibaut, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Thibaut

    Thibaut Guest

    Hello, I have a Dell inspiron 8100 (running win xp), and sometimes
    after a while (I couldn't figure out the reason), the computer begins
    to lag, to freeze for a very short time very often. It happens every
    time it needs to access the hard disk (opening a window, or launching
    any program). It is every time a short interruption where the mouse is
    staying where it is. It is very short, maybe less than 1 second. I was
    trying to add some virtual memory but it doesn't seem to help. What is
    also strange is that restarting the computer doesn't help. When I
    start it again it continues to lag. Only when I shut the computer down
    and restart it, the problem disappears (until the next time!). Having
    both win xp and linux (mandrake 9.1 ) I only have the problem under
    windows, under linux the problem is not appearing at all!

    If you have any idea of what I could do to avoid the problem or if you
    know what is the cause of the problem, I would be very grateful.
    Thank you very much.
    Thibaut.

    Thibaut, Jul 14, 2003