    trying to shut down XP the computer hangs; again with the HD access
    light lit. Both scenarios require a forced turn-off.

    Is there something else I should be doing (or should have done)?

    Mike, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Mike

    Quaoar Guest

    If you still have the 40 drive around and operable, use it, enter BIOS
    setup, and see how the drive is typed. If not Auto, then set it to Auto
    and try the 80 again. Also check DMA setting is enabled, if there is an
    option for that. The new drive should work. Did you perhaps leave a
    jumper attached that should be removed?

    Quaoar, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    All working now - I flashed the BIOS to the latest version (A15) and
    installed the new video driver.

    My previous BIOS was A07, it's my fault for not keeping up to date
    with updates.

    Kind regards,
    Mike

    Mike, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Mike

    Quaoar Guest

    Not really your fault. Current advice is to update BIOS only if the
    update solves a current problem since BIOS flashing is fraught with
    danger. What was the problem that the BIOS was advertised to correct?

    Quaoar, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    It was more of a "hit and hope" update. The laptop is nearly 3 years
    old and I was just guessing that one of the updates on the way to A15
    version would have addressed any issues with the mis-reporting of
    larger hard drive sizes.

    3 days after the BIOS upgrade and the bloody thing's stopped charging
    either of the batteries - see other post in the newsgroup!

    Mike, Aug 31, 2004