Inspiron 8100 - is it a 4pin Firewire port? Maxtor One Touch hookup?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by SCD, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. SCD

    SCD Guest

    I'm trying to get a new Maxtor One Touch external 300 gig hard drive
    to work with my Inspiron 8100. Since the 8100 has only a USB 1.1 it's
    too slow to work, so I'm trying to use the Firewire port.

    the Maxtor cable SEEMS to plug in, but I'm not getting a connection.

    The instructions for the Maxtor say that most laptops have a 4-pin
    Firewire port and I need to buy an adaptor from 4 to 6 pin. But I
    should "be sure it's a 4 pin" port. I can't find anything in the specs
    for the 8100 about which kind of Firewire port it is.

    Has anyone hooked up to a 8100?
    I'm ready to go buy an adaptor, but thought I'd ask.

    Thanks,

    SCD

    SCD, Aug 15, 2004

  2. I have an I8200, though I suspect it will be the same as the I8100, & it
    appears to be a 4-pin connection!

    HTH

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Aug 15, 2004

  3. SCD

    Quaoar Guest

    Not only is it four-pin versus the standard six, but it is unpowered so
    an external device must supply its own via an AC adapter.

    Quaoar, Aug 15, 2004
  4. SCD

    Guest Guest

    SCD writes:

    SCD> I'm trying to get a new Maxtor One Touch external 300 gig hard drive
    SCD> to work with my Inspiron 8100. Since the 8100 has only a USB 1.1 it's
    SCD> too slow to work, so I'm trying to use the Firewire port.

    SCD> the Maxtor cable SEEMS to plug in, but I'm not getting a connection.

    SCD> The instructions for the Maxtor say that most laptops have a 4-pin
    SCD> Firewire port and I need to buy an adaptor from 4 to 6 pin. But I

    Yes, the I8100 has a 4-pin port. The extra two pins are for power,
    and as most external drives have their own power you should not need
    it. You can get 4-pin to 6-pin cables. I use one to back up my I8100
    to a firewire external drive.

    SCD> should "be sure it's a 4 pin" port. I can't find anything in the specs
    SCD> for the 8100 about which kind of Firewire port it is.

    SCD> Has anyone hooked up to a 8100?

    See above.

    SCD> I'm ready to go buy an adaptor, but thought I'd ask.

    Adaptor or cable.

    Guest, Aug 16, 2004
  5. SCD

    SCD Guest

    The Maxtor drive has its own power - so no problem.

    SCD

    SCD, Aug 16, 2004