Inspiron 8100 touchpad, stick and buttons not working

Discussion in 'Dell' started by news.rcn.com, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Any one come across a problem with Synaptics Touchpad, buttons and
    TouchStick not working on XP on an Inspiron 8100? Just got this unit in and
    none of the input devices work. Have downloaded the latest drivers from the
    Dell site but to no effect: Is there a problem with SP2? Or if there was,
    would they have put out a patch for this already?

    USB mouse works perfectly but it is annoying having so many input devices
    not working all at once. Device Manager shows everything hunky dory although
    right clicking on MY COMPUTER takes a full 20 seconds to bring up a menu and
    a further 60 to show the 'PROPERTIES' to see Device Manager.

    It is also annoyingly slow: every command takes 5-15 seconds to START
    executing and sometimes up to a few minutes. I know I am trying to run XP at
    1GHz with only 128 Meg Ram (and a 384 mb swapfile) but the slowness doesn't
    seem affected by (for example) the number of applications multitasking at
    the same time.

    Have run NAV, TrendMicro, MicrosoftUpdate, Spybot, Adaware, and SFC /SCANNOW
    to no substantial effect (perhaps 40% improvement in speed) and defragged on
    both Norton and Microsoft. Interestingly Microsoft saw the drive as being
    almost completely full while ScanDisc saw the proper reading that I only
    have software files on it and THEY only take up about 25% of the 30 Gig
    drive.

    news.rcn.com, Feb 4, 2006

  2. You need to open the BIOS and enable the touchpad setting...

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Feb 4, 2006

  3. news.rcn.com

    sbb78247 Guest

    doood you got a dell! BWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

    enough said

    get more ram, get more knowledge, and google is over there------> it is
    your friend.

    michael dell just fucked you up the poop chute.

    hand, hth, and gfia!

    sbb78247, Feb 4, 2006
  4. news.rcn.com

    Galen Guest

    In Carey Frisch [MVP] had this to say:

    No Microsoft will not put out a patch for a Dell laptop. Dell updates Dell's
    drivers.

    Slow? Already?

    Seeing as you just got it (and I don't recommend this often) reformat it and
    then install security software and ensure the firewall is running (kill
    Norton if you'd like - you'd likely be better off for it) and THEN go
    online.

    Malware Cleaners and Repair:
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

    --
    Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
    http://dts-l.org/

    "I am glad of all details, whether they seem to you to be relevant or
    not." - Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, Feb 4, 2006
  5. news.rcn.com

    Fixer Guest

    Fixer, Feb 4, 2006
  6. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Neither enabling it nor disabling it and then re-enabling it did anything

    And annoyingly, while i was trying to trouble shoot, the unit stopped
    providing real power to its USB port. MY mouse started working
    intermittently. If I press the plug in, the optical light on the mouse
    would go on, then go to a quarter strength. SO I carried on by plugging it
    into the PS2 port

    And it cant read a USB 2.0 flash memory disc (though it doesn't have any
    problems with a USB 1.0 disc) It DID have Adapted USBControl on it so I
    deleted it and all that happened was that I stopped getting the error
    messages telling me that I hadn't got any USB 2.0 devices attached to the
    system.

    Is this just a system which is so new but is starting to fail endemically?

    news.rcn.com, Feb 5, 2006
  7. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    No Microsoft will not put out a patch for a Dell laptop. Dell updates
    I wondered if Dell had done this, not Microsoft
    I have already run Kaspersky, TrendMicro and Sophos to no apprecaible
    result.

    Interestingly enough, at all times, of 128 meg, 110 is always occupied with
    between 18 and 21 meg available. Swap file usage remains. And this
    situation remains almost the same however many programs I am running

    news.rcn.com, Feb 5, 2006
  8. news.rcn.com

    Fixer Guest

    ">
    No this system is so OLD it needs an overhaul, try removing the keyboard and
    reseating the zif connectors that attach the keyboard to the motherboard

    Fixer, Feb 5, 2006
  9. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    try removing the keyboard and
    Are there any disassembly instructions anywhere please?

    news.rcn.com, Feb 6, 2006
  10. news.rcn.com

    Pen Guest

    Pen, Feb 6, 2006
  11. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Many thanks: I tried it with Linux yesterday and they keyboard was
    recognised but the TouchStick (and mouse and buttons) didn't work either so
    there might well be a problem with some of the wires in the cable not being
    seated properly

    If that works, I will have to figure out the infinitely more difficult
    problem of why every command (such as pressing START) takes between 15 and
    60 seconds to execute BUT DOESN'T DO THIS IN SAFE MODE! I wonder if this is
    the type of problem which DrWatson would debug?

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8100/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1024986>>

    news.rcn.com, Feb 7, 2006
  12. news.rcn.com

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    Maybe you should try it with linux yesterday, news.rcn.com.
    What do you mean by difficult?
    If you're not paranoid, you don't know what is going on around here.
    Book a padded cell.
    Most of the people who get good things don't deserve them.
    It's so sad, isn't it?
    I am here to mock you, not diagnose your problems or play agony aunt.
    My heart bleeds for you.

    <aside>
    LMFAO

    Fred Tehbot, Feb 7, 2006
  13. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Well that certainly did the trick in a somewhat dramatic way: I found that
    the keyboard and touchstick cables were plugged in correctly but that there
    was a flat panel hanging loose by the side which obviously connected the
    touchpad to the MoBo. When I plugged it in, immediately:
    1 everything started working
    2 the sluggishness problem completely disappeared as the keyboard stopped
    telling the OS that there was a touchpad and stick there which the OS
    installed in device manager but then flailed around desperately trying to
    find to use every time I pressed any command on the keyboard.

    Obviously the person (I think I know who it was, principally because he
    always gets it so completely wrong, and his present identity is now on my
    block list again) who advised getting more memory and blaming Dell when the
    symptoms were so totally at variance with this did get it completely wrong
    as usual.

    More baffling is Dell's technical support not identifying this problem
    immediately and having me reinstall drivers, reboot, and do various other
    'put-more-air-in-the-tyres' solutions. What I was doing was to waste both
    my AND THEIR time with that call to India where the person seemed well
    trained, helpful, courteous and articulate. He just hadn't been properly
    primed on this obvious problem

    Thanks again pen and fixer

    Fellow pen
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8100/en/sm_en/remove.htm#1024986