Inspiron 8500 and Windows 2000 Professional

Discussion in 'Dell' started by andyhartmann, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. andyhartmann

    andyhartmann Guest

    I saw some articles about Inspiron 8500 running W2K, anybody having
    success with this configuration? I tried all version of the NSS (Dell
    Notebook System Software) none of them works, says "This computer does
    not support this operating system"... ??
    Also have a port replicator, it happens that the internal CDR/DVD is
    not recognized if the system boots while connected to the replicator.
    But works well if boot while disconnected and then connect it once
    it's running. Weird.
    Lastly, USB and PCI stuff does not seem to be properly installed
    (according to the device manager at least) but I have USB devices
    working propelry with it, attached to the replicator.
    Last issue, COM-port on the replicator does not work either - all
    seems to point out the fact that the NSS needs to run - but it
    doesn't...

    Machine runs W2K/SP4, Firmware A06.
    Thanks
    -andy

    andyhartmann, Nov 30, 2004

  2. it supports w2k...
    go to support.dell.com and log on and navigate to the support page for your
    model inspiron...
    then look under file download for a bios update and other drivers. update
    the bios to the most current level a06. then install w2k with the system
    not connected to the docking station. upon completion of installation
    install the intel mobile chipset driver available from the download site.
    you can also install the sound drivers, video drivers, dell patches and
    fixes, the appropriate drivers for your removable drives, touchpad drivers,
    network adapter driver, etc, all available from the above site. be sure to
    also download/install the 'dell notebook system software' as it includes the
    appropriate software to make docking successful. once all is installed and
    the machine starts clean (no messages about requiring a reboot) then shut
    down, dock the system and power on... if i recall correctly it will take a
    few restarts for the system to fully recognize the dock and all of its
    components. finally be sure to go on line and visit
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install all microsoft provided operating
    system updates, and install an antivirus product and your application
    software. good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 1, 2004

  3. andyhartmann

    andyhartmann Guest

    Great, I see you suggest to install the SP4 at the end. I insatlled
    W2K, SP4 and then the drivers, chipset, firmware update, when I have
    this ugly message coming from the NSS "This computer does not support
    this operating system". You never saw anything like that?

    andyhartmann, Dec 1, 2004
  4. your description of the error message is unclear; specifically when you get
    the message is unclear. your description suggested that you loaded w2k when
    docked and that is most certainly problematic. additionally the bios level
    and the lack of chipset support also spell trouble... other than the chip
    set driver which should be done first, the order of installing other drivers
    should not matte nor should doing the sp4 or the sp4 rollup (critical update
    obtained from windowsupdate.microsoft.com) before or after... i just
    generally load the drivers that i need to get on line to then collect the
    other updates via the internet... remember to load the 'dell notebook
    system software' before you dock for the first time.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 1, 2004
  5. andyhartmann

    andy_cha Guest

    So I gave another try to this W2K on the Inspiron8500: clean-boot from
    W2K CD and reformat the HD, no SP installed. Then, I successfully
    installed the Intel chip-set driver (from support.dell.com). Next the
    setup of the Notebook System Software, NSS version A017 (the latest I
    found). The progress bar runs all the way to the right, then after a
    few moments a dialog box opens that says "This computer does not
    support this operating system". I then tried to run the setup in silent
    mode, via command-line and -S switch (according to the readme.txt).
    Setup still doesn't work but it generates a log-file:
    [Installshield silent]
    Version=v7.00
    File=Log File
    [ResponseResult]
    ResultCode=-3
    In other words, it still doesn't work. I understand that w/o having the
    NSS installed, the computer is useless, in essence.
    My Inspiron says Model#PP02X - maybe there are different verions of
    Inspiron 8500, some of them can handle the NSS others can't...

    andy_cha, Dec 11, 2004