Inspiron 9100 bluescreens with ATI video driver for ATI

Discussion in 'Dell' started by J Mac, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. J Mac

    J Mac Guest

    I sent this laptop back to Dell and told them it was a lemon.
    They replaced the cpu and heat sink and said it was fixed. I reformatted
    and reinstalled xp pro and very carefully started adding one driver at a
    time. After installing the ATI Radeon 9700 driver, it started blue
    screening again. I do have video without that driver but will it have the
    ability to
    run some graphics intensive programs like PhotoShop and 3dMax which my
    daughter needs for her classes?

    I am very aggravated at Dell (I had to threaten them before they would
    fulfill on the warranty. I had bought the 3 yr. warranty and accident
    warranty as
    well so I thought returning it for this problem would be a breeze. But you
    would
    have thought I was asking Dell for their children).

    Now what to do. I frankly don't think they have the ability to fix it.

    J Mac, Sep 20, 2005

  2. J Mac

    WSZsr Guest

    Was the ATI Radeon 9700 driver from Dell or did you download it from the ATI
    website? Is it the latest driver available?

    WSZsr, Sep 21, 2005

  3. J Mac

    Tom Scales Guest

    You are using Dell's driver, right? Dell's OEM cards often require their
    driver.

    Photoshop isn't very graphics card intensive at all, so it will work. Don't
    know about 3DMax.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 21, 2005
  4. J Mac

    Fred Mau Guest

    I had a similar problem on a Latitude. It didn't bluescreen, but after a
    fresh XP install, the driver from the Dell site - even though it matched
    the service tag and OS - gave me deformed characters and a wierd color
    palette. Twice in a row.

    Third time, I installed XP but without the "Dell" video driver. Then I let
    XP go through it's automatic updates (custom, not express) and selected the
    video driver that it found under "optional hardware updates". Problem
    solved.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Sep 21, 2005