    I have a new Inspiron N5050 here, and my client wants me to replace the old-time spinning hard drive with a nice new-fangled SSD. To remove the hard drive from earlier Dells, one would remove 2 to 4 screws, then slide out the hard drive from the laptop chassis. Real simple. Takes a minute or two.

    To remove the hard drive from the N5050 (and similar models), first remove two screws that hold the hard drive in the chassis, then remove 11 screws for the palm rest, then CAREFULLY pop the tabs that hold the fragile keyboard in place, and remove the keyboard. Next, remove the palmrest. Finally, you can see the hard drive and actually remove it.

    Need I say that this is a serious pain in the ass? No excuse for this substandard design... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 23, 2012

  2. Ben Myers

    Justin Guest

    Justin, Oct 23, 2012

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Your point being?

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2012
  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Removal of the palmrest is not done exactly according to Dell's maintenanceinfo, but there's a nice YouTube showing how... Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2012
  5. Ben Myers

    Justin Guest

    Your point being?

    Justin, Oct 24, 2012
  6. Ben Myers

    Justin Guest

    Your point being?

    Justin, Oct 24, 2012
  7. Ben Myers

    dg1261 Guest

    We know that. That's why smart techies buy PCs. With the new Macbooks
    you're not allowed to replace anything. Everything is soldered and glued
    in--ram, drive, even the battery. Macbooks are throwaway devices--when
    they break or you want to upgrade, you throw them away.

    dg1261, Oct 25, 2012