Inspiron Won't Boot Unless I Push on Memory Chips

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    My Inspiron 5000e suddenly stopped booting up. It wouldn't even get to
    the point of trying to load from hard drive, CD, or floppy.

    I stumbled upon the fact that it would work if I am pushing on the
    memory chips. I have to put a fair amount of force on it--I don't
    think it is simply a matter of making a better connection. I've tried
    removing and reinserting the chips several times without improvement.

    Any idea what is going on? I wonder if there could possibly be
    anything wrong with the memory itself (but if so, would pushing on
    them change this). Could there be some fixable problem in the
    connections with the memory? As I have to push fairly hard, I even
    wonder if it is possible that what I'm really doing to get it to work
    is pushing on something behind the memory and making a connection
    which is loose. Is there anything behind the memory so that this could
    apply?

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Ron Chusid

    BigJIm Guest

    this is a guess but the memory slot could be coming loose from the
    motherboard.
    There could be some dust or dirt in the memory slot.
    You can clean the memory by using a piece of plain white copy paper and just
    wipe the contacts.
    You can clean the memory slot by blowing air into it. I use canned air for
    this.

    BigJIm, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    I'll try cleaning as you suggested.

    If the memory slot is coming loose, is this something which should be
    apparent by looking at it? Is this fixable if it is the problem?

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Ron Chusid

    BigJim Guest

    if the slot is loose the board might be repairable if not a new board would
    be needed

    BigJim, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    Once again Dell tech support shows how worthless it has become. I sent
    a message similar to the one below, including he fact that I cannot
    boot to floppy, hard drive, or CD. Seven hours later I got a reply
    saying "Ron, if I understand the issue correctly, then laptop does not
    boot up." Then he tells me to boot it up and run the diagnostics CD.

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Ron Chusid

    Ron Chusid Guest

    At least tech support got back to me whenI pointed out that the
    message didn't help as I couldn't run the diagnostics program as
    requested. The response did start out strangely with "Thank you for
    your time and cooperation for carrying out the requested
    troubleshooting."

    I did get a bit of information on pricing for out of warranty service
    which some might find of interest:

    As per our records, your service warranty has expired. In that case,
    you can opt for Out-of-Warranty repair. The base cost of repair for an
    out of warranty system is $269 which includes labor, shipping both
    ways, and any parts other than a motherboard or LCD((plus $699 if the
    LCD or motherboard needs to be replaced). The estimated turnaround
    time is 5-7 business days, dependent upon parts availability.

    It sure isn't worth $699 if it might be the motherboard. I wish I knew
    if there was any chance it might be something else which could be
    fixed for $269. (Is he really saying $269 plus an additonal $699 for
    the mother board?) I might consider $269. I also wonder if there is
    any chance it could be a problem with the memory chips, which would be
    a lot cheaper to replace.

    Ron Chusid, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Ron Chusid

    Steve W. Guest

    Ron,
    You say it will boot if you push hard on the memory chips. Pull the
    memory cards out of their sockets, take a small amount of alcohol to
    clean the connector on the board and the cards, Then reinstall, also
    unplug and reseat any cables or connectors on the board. Then see if it
    will boot up. You could just have a loose connection or a slightly dirty
    one. Also if you have on board memory and add on memory module you might
    want to see if it will boot with the extra memory removed.

    Steve W., Feb 29, 2004
  8. Ron Chusid

    Clark Guest

    I'm not familiar with that computer, but pushing on the memory could cause
    another area to make a contact that is not related to the memory. Perhaps a
    broken trace somewhere or loose connection.

    Have you done anything that might loosen a connection?

    If you hadn't mentioned the physical action helped, I might have thought it
    may have been a virus.

    I did see where they had recalled the batteries on that model.

    Clark
    Not a tech

    Clark, Mar 4, 2004