inspiron600m usb flash/mouse light on but not recognized-help

Discussion in 'Dell' started by glvega, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. glvega

    glvega Guest

    Fellows,
    here is my problem, I put my computer to sleep, then took out flash
    drive & mouse.
    on reboot, plugging in mouse and flash drive again, they light up but
    do not work. What's more,
    the USB ports do not show up.
    If I put a different usb device, it does not light up, nor does the
    computer recognized it, only the ones I disconnected
    while in hibernation light up (but don't work).
    Here is what I tried,
    -removed and re-installed drivers
    -downloaded new bios system
    -downloaded patches from dell (R88576.exe, which supposedly will fix
    non-responding usb's)
    -re-installed the operating system

    All these to no avail. What puzzles me is that the usb's appear to be
    power-up, especially with
    the flashdrive and mouse I took out during hibornation, but not other
    devices. If I put in my
    Ipod, it charges it but does not recognize it.
    Any ideas besides the conclusion that the mother board needs to be
    replaced?

    Here is the system info:
    USB ports are 2.0
    Inspiron 600m
    Pentium (R) M
    Processor 1.60GHz
    1.39 GHZ, 768 MB of ram

    thanks for any troubleshooting ideas you can provide.

    glvega, Jan 24, 2007

  2. glvega

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'd look at software possibilities first. The easiest first step would be
    running a windows system restore to bring back your settings to a date
    before the problem started.

    sleep/standby/hibernation can sometimes do odd things to systems. A little
    too early to look at hardware, imo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 24, 2007