Install SB16 or Live Value in FIC VA-503+ with Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Woody, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Woody

    Woody Guest

    Issue: Unable to install SB16 or Live Value in FIC VA-503+ with Windows
    2000

    Background: Can see issue history in previous news posts "SB Live Value
    (CT4830) in FIC VA-503+ on W2k" and "SB16 PCI (CT4740) on FIC VA-503+
    running W2K"

    System Board: FIC VA-503+ v. 1.1a (Via VP3 586B chipsets)

    System BIOS: Next to the latest version (JE4331 10/3/00). A newer BIOS
    (JE 4333) is available but I understand it is intended for ACPI enabled
    PC's only (I overrode the HAL at W2K setup and set up PC as "Standard
    PC", that is, non ACPI).

    The other cards in system are working fine:
    AGP slot: Matrox Productiva G100 AGP (AGP not setup with IRQ)
    PCI slot: Promise Ultra133TX2 IDE card
    PCI slot: NetGear FA312 NIC

    Note: SB16 card was previously installed in this same VA-503+ board under
    Windows98 and operated fine (with older BIOS and unfortunately BIOS
    settings from that time period are undocumented). Did a fresh install of
    Windows2000 along with BIOS update and then attempted to install
    soundcard. Windows 2000 stalls when starting up after inserting SB16
    card. Same with SB Live Value card. The two sound cards work fine when
    tested in a VA-503 (not +) system board under Windows 2000.

    I'm sure the issue is an IRQ, I/O and/or memory base address conflict but
    this system board/BIOS POST report does not provide any feedback to which
    slots/cards are assigned which IRQ's at bootup.

    Windows Device Manager shows: NIC on IRQ 10 and Promise IDE on IRQ 11. No
    entries are noted for IRQ 7 and IRQ 9.

    Other steps I've tried...

    Tried both SB cards in all three PCI slots.

    Reset System BIOS to BIOS defaults.

    Tried different permutations of PCI/PNP BIOS settings.

    Changed IRQ Sequence (PCI) from default "9, 10, 11, 5, 7 ,4,..."
    to "15, 11, 10, 9, 12, 14,..."

    PNP OS installed is set to "No" in BIOS. (Seems standard).

    Followed FIC FAQ suggestion configuring BIOS PCI settings as follows:
    - Set "Resources Controlled by" to "Manual" (changed from Auto)
    - Enable "Reset Data Configuration"
    - Set IRQ5 to ISA Legacy (not PCI/ISA PNP)
    - Set DMA 1 to ISA Legacy (not PCI/ISA PNP)

    The above process reinitalized IRQ's for NetGear and Promise cards just
    fine but installing either SB card still stalls boot up.

    Any suggestions?

    Woody

    Woody, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Woody

    Matt Guest

    Yep. I have a suggestion. Windows 2K/XP don't support ISA motherboards all
    that well. Time to upgrade or install Win98SE.

    Matt

    Matt, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Woody

    Woody Guest

    Wondering what info you base your claim (or are you a troll)?

    FIC VA-503+ indeed is a combo PCI/ISA system board. However so are my FIC
    VA-503 and FIC PT-2200 system boards and both run with Windows 2000 just
    fine. I have also sucessfully built many W2K systems using GigaByte,
    Abit, ASUS and Soyo PCI/ISA combo system boards (some with SB16 PCI and
    Live Value PCI sound cards, the same sound cards I'm trying trying to run
    on the VA-503+).

    If I wanted to upgrade to a different system board on this system I
    would've done so already. The point is I know this soundcard will work on
    the VA-503+ under Windows 2000. I just have to find out the correct BIOS
    setting(s) that will allow this to happen. Thanks for your helpful apply
    ;-)

    Woody, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Woody

    Matt Guest

    Unfortunately there are no SB16 drivers for WinXP. Creative Labs no longer
    supports the SB16. So that is your barrier. The reason a majority of ISA
    devices no longer work under WinXP is because device manufacturers have
    stopped making non-PnP ISA device drivers. The problem is a combination of
    non-PnP ISA devices and no driver support. Windows XP can handle ISA devices
    just fine however you must install Windows XP without ACPI.

    Matt

    Matt, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Woody

    Woody Guest

    Guess I wasn't clear on the details...

    The SB16 I have is a PCI card.
    The installed OS is W2K (SP3).
    W2K is installed without ACPI (i.e. "Standard PC").

    My thought is this is a W2K enumeration issue (slight incompatibility
    with the BIOS/chipset configuration). Still searching for the registry
    hack or BIOS setting which will allow me to override this hurdle.

    Woody, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Woody

    Folk Guest

    Have you tried pressing F8 at boot-up and requesting a boot log?
    Maybe something in the log will point towards your problem.

    Folk, Jul 11, 2003
  7. uck up? hahajajOn Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:57:55 GMT, Woody

    Dave.. (Suicide-lovin' fun junkie)

    Pucker up and kiss the asphalt now...

    Vote Your Uterus, Jul 24, 2004