Install WinXP on old Dell 3200 BIOS won't recognize USB CDROM

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by donnadigacomo, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Perplexing problem (to me) that I hope my savior is out there to help

    1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?
    or
    2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?

    All I want to do is install Windows XP on my old DELL 3200 PC.
    But when I start the machine with the WinXP in the USB CDROM, the Dell
    3200 does not "see" the CDROM.

    How do I force the old Dell 3200 PC to "see" the WinXP disc in the USB
    CDROM?

    I want to install Windows XP from scratch on a formatted 10 GB hard
    disk on my ancient DELL 3200 PC but when I start the machine with the
    WinXP Pro disc in the USB CDROM, the machine won't "see" the CDROM
    drive.

    How can I force the ancient Dell 3200 to see the WinXP disk in the USB
    CDROM?

    History:
    There is a mishmash of WinXP on top of WinME currently on the Dell 3200
    and it's working but it's a royal mess. I merely wish to format the
    entire 10 GB hard drive (FAT32?) and then boot to the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM drive and then install a clean Windows XP on the hard drive.

    I tried booting to Win98 boot disk in the internal floppy drive but it
    still didn't "see" the external USB CDROM.

    Two questions I guess ...
    1. Where can I get a boot floppy that "sees" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?
    or
    2. How do I get the PC to start up and "see" the WinXP in the USB
    CDROM?

    Donna D.

    donnadigacomo, Oct 19, 2005

  2. The BIOS must have an option to boot to a USB device.
    If no option exists, then you cannot boot from a USB
    CD drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    :

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Oct 19, 2005

  3. donnadigacomo

    Dan Evans Guest

    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM
    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM
    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM
    A machine that old can't - you need a BIOS that can boot from USB CD-ROM

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 20, 2005
  4. donnadigacomo

    Allan Guest

    I don't think you'll ever be able to boot up from your external Windows
    CD. The BIOS on those older machines didn't allow you to boot up from
    an external USB device. But doesn't the Windows XP disk give you the
    option of a clean install when you launch it from your current Windows
    setup?

    Here's what I would do, but it might be more trouble than you want to
    go to.

    Copy all valuable files onto an external, removable device.

    Create a new partition on the hard drive of around 1Gb. There are
    various ways of doing this.

    Copy the entire contents of the Windows XP installation disk to the new
    partition.

    Launch the Windows XP installation on the new partition from within
    your existing Windows setup.

    When the XP installation asks which partition the OS is to be installed
    to, point it at your C partition. I'm pretty sure it will ask you
    whether you want to reformat the partition and whether you want to do a
    clean installation or an upgrade.

    When all is working properly, delete the partition containing the XP
    installation files.

    Allan, Oct 20, 2005
  5. I have had the same problem with trying to launch/start form an USB CD-ROM
    on a new machine. I just never got it to work. Now about the copy "entire"
    contents of Win XP CD to a partition and then run it from the HD. Is that
    possible, and how is it done?

    Charlie Evans, Oct 21, 2005
  6. donnadigacomo

    Dan Evans Guest

    You copy the entire contents of the CD to a hard drive, then run winnt32.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Thank you very much. I will try it tomorrow.....

    Charlie Evans, Oct 22, 2005