installation cd and partition info needed for 4600

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mark A. Stewart, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. when installing a new, single partitioned hard drive in a dell 4600 will the
    dell installation CD automatically partition my drive so it can put the dell
    diagnostics crap on the drive while it reinstalls my OS. or will it just
    install XP home the way i would prefer? also, do the diagnostic lights in
    the back of the pc get their info from the partition that hold the
    diagnostics software. if so, will this cause any issues? i have an 80 gig
    drive that i want to use in my 4600. are there any hidden surprises that i
    need to look out for. hopefully, all i have to do is simply install the
    drive. change the boot sequence in bios to boot from cdrom first. then
    install xp. but, something tells me i am about to get fooled.

    in addition, i have been lurking and asking questions in this group for
    about two weeks now. i have been impressed with the Q&A i have seen so far.
    FWIW i am satisfied with my 4600. i haved owned several other "brand name"
    pc's in the past and have built my own systems. the one frequent topic i
    keep seeing in this group is talk "complaints" about dells technical
    support. although, i havn't used their service, i doubt i ever will. i
    believe that most of my issues can be solved in this group by the many geeks
    that reside here. i admit that many proprietory measures that some pc makers
    use are a pain in the ass. but, this attitude is here to say.

    thanks for reading and/or responding

    Mark A. Stewart, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Mark A. Stewart

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, the little partition is impossible to recreate. The Dell installation CD
    is just an XP disk, nothing special, other than it will not require
    activation as it is aware of the Dell BIOS.

    If you need the diagnostics, just boot the Resource CD.

    That said, the little partition sure is handy. I don't believe it drives
    the flashing lights.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 11, 2003

  3. thanks tom

    Mark A. Stewart, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Mark A. Stewart

    PC Gladiator Guest

    That said, the little partition sure is handy.

    What can you do with it?

    PC Gladiator, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Mark A. Stewart

    Tom Scales Guest

    When you boot and see the Dell logo, press Ctrl+alt+d

    It invokes the diagnostics. If a component fails the diagnostics, Dell, in
    my experience, sends you a replacement with no more questions and no more
    troubleshooting.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Mark A. Stewart

    PC Gladiator Guest

  7. Mark A. Stewart

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    You should be able to boot to the CD by simply pressing F12 at num lock and
    arrowing down to the boot device you want.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  8. thanks for all the help. managed to install new drive without conflict.
    still happy with the 4600 so far

    Mark A. Stewart, Nov 11, 2003