    a list of 'reported to work'. Whilst installation does ont complete on
    this controller, it goes a lot further than using the internal one.

    Using the Adaptec SCSI controller, he can boot the Solaris install (or
    #1) CD from the IDE CD drive, set up file systems on the SCSI disk,
    and let the installer read the data from the CD. However, when the
    installation is finished with CD #1, and reboots, the system fails to
    boot from the SCSI disk, so you can't load CD #2.

    I'm pretty convinced that Solaris is being installed okay, but he does
    not know how to persuade the system to boot from the SCSI disk on the
    Adaptec controller which is plugged into a PCI slot, and ignore the
    on-board SCSI controller. I think it is trying to boot from the
    on-board controller, which fails, as there are no disks on that.

    I know in most generic PCs you could go into the BIOS and disable the
    on-board SCSI controller. You could then enter the BIOS of the SCSI
    controller to boot from a specific SCSI id. But from what I understand
    these Compaq machines are a little different.

    Any ideas ? I'm pretty convinced if the machine can be persuaded to
    ignore its on-board SCSI controller and boot from the Adaptec one in a
    PCI slot, the Solaris installation will complete, leaving a working
    Solaris system.

    David Kirkby

    david (DOT) kirkby (AT) onetel (DOT) net

    Dr. David Kirkby, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Dr. David Kirkby

    Sharmon Guest

    Sharmon, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Cheers. I don't know what firmware versions he has, so it is possible
    he has the latest.
    Were you using the on-board SCSI controller, or like my friend, using
    a SCSI controller in a PCI slot ?
    That was my feeling too. I have never come across one of these Compaqs
    myself - hence my suggestion to use a SCSI controller in s PCI slot,
    after repeated attempts at using the on-board controller were failing.

    The Adaptec (badged Compaq) SCSI controller is certainly working. He
    managed to copy a few files to tape using a tape drive on the Adaptec
    controller, then read read them back. That, coupled with the fact the
    first Solaris CD seems to install files to disk without any problems,
    leaves me convinced the first disk of Solaris is being installed on a
    hard disk. We just need to either:

    a) Find out how to install Solaris on the integrated controller OR
    b) Find out how to disable the integrated controller, and instead boot
    from the one in the PCI card.

    I'd like to know if you took path (a) or (b).

    The Compaq's management utilities (whatever they are called), do have
    an option to install Solaris. But using the on-boards SCSI controller,
    we have been unable to get Solaris to read or write to the disks,
    although it does create the device files.

    If all else fails, I will give him one of my old SPARCs and he can
    install Solaris for SPARC!

    David Kirkby

    Dr. David Kirkby, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Dr. David Kirkby

    Sharmon Guest

    Hi ,

    You MUST do a complete system erase with the SCU then reconfigure it
    using the SCU in the link . The only problem I had with the 1850R was
    I used an Intel Pro 100+ NIC instead of the embedded and it worked
    great. the key is the complete system erase , you can use a smart
    start 5.5 or less but use the maintanence switch to clear the CMOS
    settings , it tends to be more thorough. The SCSI settings might be in
    the advanced settings of the SCU (F2 on the start up screen I think)

    Sharmon, Oct 4, 2004