installed wrong driver (RAID vs. IDE) for P4P800-E Deluxe Promise FastTrak -- can't uninstall and ch

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Greg Conquest, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. I have just built a system using the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (WinXPSP2,
    P42.80C), but I am having a problems:

    I apparently mistakenly chose the RAID path instead of the ATA path
    for the WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 Controller. The device is not
    functioning according to Device Manager (yellow exclamation point).
    - I have two IDE drives (200GB Seagate Barracuda's set to Cable Select
    on the Promise controller).
    - IDE Configuration: Onboard IDE Mode -- Enhanced Mode -- S-ATA --
    S-ATA as RAID = No
    - BIOS for Onboard Promise Controller is set to Enabled and IDE.

    Now, Windows will not let me change from the RAID driver to the ATA
    driver.
    - If I uninstall the driver and then reboot, Windows restores the
    driver.
    - If I uninstall and then delete ptipbmf.dll and fasttx2k.sys (both in
    windows/system32/drivers/), and then run the "Add Hardware" wizard,
    the RAID driver (1.01.37) is reinstalled -- from where? System
    Restore? How can I change the driver?
    - If I uninstall and then delete ptipbmf.dll and fasttx2k.sys, and
    then reboot, I get a rundll error (no ptipbmf.dll to load), but the
    1.01.37 (RAID) driver is still loaded again in Control Panel.

    What else can I do? The problem of "cross-grading drivers" must
    afflict other devices, but I don't know what to search for.

    (prior discussion of this issue -- USENET via googlegroups, but I have
    no oemxx.inf or oem*.inf to delete.)
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?B23116959

    Thank you for any help.
    Greg Conquest

    ------ Greg Conquest ------
    http://gregconquest.com

    Greg Conquest, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Greg Conquest

    W Shumaker Guest

    check this thread:

    http://www.techsupportforums.com/showthread.php?t=11848

    This worked for me, quoting -clintfan:

    "To fix, set the Onboard Promise Controller Operating Mode to IDE in the
    BIOS. Save, then boot back to Windows. Go into the DeviceManager,
    right-click the Promise controller, and choose Update Driver. Select "I
    will choose the driver" and navigate until you find the "Have Disk"
    option. From there, feed it the previously-downloaded & unzipped SATA378
    driver. Out of this you should get a list of devices. IMPORTANT: you
    MUST see and choose the "WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller"; if
    you don't see this device in the list, keep wading through the options
    until you do. (I dredged my notes for the specifics but I think the
    server crash lost them; I seem to recall some option you had to click
    something like "Show all compatible devices" to be able to see this.)
    Then reboot.

    This will get your Promise drive running in non-RAID IDE mode, even if
    it's a SATA drive. If the drive was previously in a RAID array, you
    should reformat it. I don't know if the alternative --running a single
    drive in RAID mode-- is really supposed to work."

    W Shumaker, Sep 28, 2004