Installed XP - mouse frozen - how do I reinstall mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by di-y, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. di-y

    di-y Guest

    I've just installed Windows XP. I have a 4 button Logitech Mouseman
    (not wheel style). When XP finished installing it did not recognise
    the Mouseman, which worked as a normal 2-button mouse.

    I tried installing Mouseware 9.42.1 (which I've used successfully to
    install this mouse driver with Win-98SE) but the mouse was still only
    recognised as 2 button version.

    I foolishly tried to update the driver from Device Manager, but
    totally screwed things up and now I have no access to a mouse on my
    computer.

    I have tried to download the XP mouse driver from Logitech website,
    but can't get access at the moment.

    What I need to know is how, without a mouse, I can get access to the
    Device Manager so I can remove the drivers that are there at the
    moment, and at least get back to a generic 2-button mouse so I can at
    least do something.

    I tried rebooting, and letting the CD autoplay. However, even though I
    thought I'd successfully reinstalled the Logitech driver I still can't
    use my mouse. The pointer is frozen in the middle of the screen.

    Can anyone help?

    Do I need to completely reinstall WinXP?

    Thanks

    di-y, Jan 18, 2004

  2. di-y

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Jan 18, 2004

  3. di-y

    di-y Guest

    OK - I figured out how to use keyboard shortcuts to get to Device
    Manager and uninstall the faulty driver.

    However, despite the fact that the Logitech Help page says any version
    of Mouseware above 9.4* will work with XP, I cannot get my mouse to
    register as a 4-button version.

    It's displaying in the Device Manager as a MouseMan Serial Mouse - my
    husband has the same mouse on his Win98SE computer and it's described
    as MouseMan PS/2 (3). Not sure if that's important.

    Can anyone please help me to get Windows XP to recognise this as a
    four-button mouse. I do not want to upgrade to a later model. (Even
    having it work as a three-button mouse would be better than nothing.)

    Thanks

    di-y, Jan 19, 2004
  4. di-y

    di-y Guest

    OK - I figured out how to use keyboard shortcuts to get to Device
    Manager and uninstall the faulty driver.

    However, despite the fact that the Logitech Help page says any version
    of Mouseware above 9.4* will work with XP, I cannot get my mouse to
    register as a 4-button version.

    It's displaying in the Device Manager as a MouseMan Serial Mouse - my
    husband has the same mouse on his Win98SE computer and it's described
    as MouseMan PS/2 (3). Not sure if that's important.

    Anyway, it's the mouse in the attached picture which I've scanned from
    the box.

    di-y, Jan 19, 2004
  5. di-y

    webmom6 Guest

    If you have a windows key (between Crtl and Alt keys) you can use that
    to open up the start menu, use the arrow keys to scroll to control
    panel and hit return to open. Once it opens use the arrow and tab keys
    to get to the Mouse applet, hit return and again use arrow and tab
    keys to troubleshoot or uninstall. If you uninstall restart your pc
    and let WindowsXP find and install the mouse and drivers again. BTW
    for some mice you have to uninstall original drivers, install new
    drivers and then restart and plug in the new mouse.

    webmom6, Jan 19, 2004
  6. di-y

    Gene K Guest

    How is the Mouse connected: USB or PS2 (the normal Mouse connection)? What I
    think you will probably have to do is to remove the software and install it
    via the Add Hardware Wizard [Start/Control Panel/Add Hardware/Add Hardware
    Wizard]. If you do, DO NOT LET IT CON YOU INTO CLOSING IT AND INSTALLING
    DIRECTLY USING THE MANUFACTURERS CD. I had almost the exact problem as you
    when I was converting a Keyboard from a USB connection to a PS2 connection
    and solved it via the Add Hardware Wizard. Apparently a lot of installation
    CDs just assume a USB connection and screw things up from there.
    Gene K

    Gene K, Jan 19, 2004