Installer does not work anymore on OS 10.4.10 (and does not shut down)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by subfly59, Oct 7, 2007.

  1. subfly59

    subfly59 Guest

    I cannot point to a precise upgrade or moment, but in the last few
    months I have been unable of installing any software which comes in a
    Package. The Installer icon shows briefly in the Dock and then
    disappears immediately. No error message is shown.

    I tried to locate any file related to Installer but I did not find any
    in the system folder.

    Is there any known incompatibility or else which I am not aware of?
    What can I try to impove the situation?

    Also, I do not know if these fact are related, my Mac no longer shuts
    down correctly. The icons disappear and only the desktop is left, but
    then the machine does not go on and I have to shut it down with the
    power button (I have a G5 dual 1.8 GHz)

    Thanks in advance for any help

    MM

    subfly59, Oct 7, 2007

  2. subfly59

    subfly59 Guest

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    I did not look to this before (I did not know it was there and where).
    I found:

    Oct 7 23:25:32 Computer-di-crashdump[898]:
    Installer crashed
    Oct 7 23:25:32 Computer-di-crashdump[898]: crash
    report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Installer.crash.log

    And in Installer.crash.log I found many errors, here are a couple

    Host Name: Computer-di-
    Date/Time: 2007-10-06 23:54:34.197 +0200
    OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
    Report Version: 4

    Command: Installer
    Installer
    Parent: WindowServer [54]

    Version: 2.1.7 (95)

    PID: 1604

    Link (dyld) error:

    Symbol not found: __ZNK3KJS9ObjectImp11hasPropertyEPNS_9ExecStateEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/
    Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

    Host Name: Computer-di-
    Date/Time: 2007-10-07 23:25:32.218 +0200
    OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
    Report Version: 4

    Command: Installer
    Installer
    Parent: WindowServer [54]

    Version: 2.1.7 (95)

    PID: 897

    Link (dyld) error:

    Symbol not found: __ZNK3KJS9ObjectImp11hasPropertyEPNS_9ExecStateEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/
    Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

    which does not tell me much. Does it help you? I confirm that the same
    behaviour happens with at least 10 packages I tried to launch.

    Any idea about the fact it does not shut down? Is it related? In crash
    reporter I find logs for

    SystemUIServer.crash.log
    Exited process.crash.log

    and other SW, which however is not running when I try to shut down (I
    have tried to isolate the problem by having only finder and widgets
    open when I try to shut down)

    Thanks again and good Sunday

    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
    subfly59, Oct 7, 2007

  3. subfly59

    subfly59 Guest

    Well, I followed Jolly Roger advice and tried reinstalling 10.4.10
    with the combo update, only it is also a package and therefore I
    cannot update/repair my OS.

    I post here the latest error dumps. I also want to point out that,
    apart installing 10.4.10, I recently installed the WD backup software
    that came with my two WD Firewire drives which I installed as RAID. I
    have also to say that the WD sw turned out to be incomptible with an
    Italian OS, and that I run the machine as root.

    Is anything of this making sense to anybody?

    **********

    Host Name: Computer-di-
    Date/Time: 2007-10-09 22:47:38.134 +0200
    OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
    Report Version: 4

    Command: Installer
    Installer
    Parent: WindowServer [56]

    Version: 2.1.7 (95)

    PID: 270

    Link (dyld) error:

    Symbol not found: __ZNK3KJS9ObjectImp11hasPropertyEPNS_9ExecStateEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/
    Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

    **********

    Host Name: Computer-di-
    Date/Time: 2007-10-09 22:47:40.468 +0200
    OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
    Report Version: 4

    Command: Installer
    Installer
    Parent: WindowServer [56]

    Version: 2.1.7 (95)

    PID: 272

    Link (dyld) error:

    Symbol not found: __ZNK3KJS9ObjectImp11hasPropertyEPNS_9ExecStateEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/
    Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

    Console log:

    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/private/var/root/
    Documents/ArcSoft/WD Backup/BackupSchedule.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/private/var/root/
    Documents/ArcSoft/WD Backup/BackupSchedule.xml"
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/private/var/root/
    Documents/ArcSoft/WD Backup/BackupSchedule.xml"
    2007-10-09 23:37:14.636 WDBackupMonitor[208] ***
    _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1124930 of class NSCFArray
    autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    2007-10-09 23:37:14.637 WDBackupMonitor[208] ***
    _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x112a760 of class NSStatusBarWindow
    autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    dyld: Symbol not found:
    __ZNK3KJS9ObjectImp11hasPropertyEPNS_9ExecStateEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/
    Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

    Oct 9 23:37:24 Computer-di-crashdump[279]:
    Installer crashed
    Oct 9 23:37:24 Computer-di-crashdump[279]: crash
    report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Installer.crash.log

    the first items are repeated maybe a hundred times.

    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
    subfly59, Oct 9, 2007
  4. subfly59

    M-M Guest

    Create another user account and log in as that user and then see if the
    install works.

    It worked for me once when I had a problem like that.

    M-M, Oct 10, 2007