    computers and connect the wireless router to the Linksys? (I would
    rather do it this way because I do not want to mess around with my
    brother's computer.) Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Daniel Prince, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Daniel Prince

    Andrew Guest

    : I have a home network with two desktop computers, a cable modem and
    : a Linksys wired router. I bought a Belkin wireless router (part #
    : F5D7230-4) and a Belkin notebook card (F5D7010) so that I can
    : network my new laptop computer.

    : All the instructions for the Belkin router assume that the user has
    : one computer connected directly to a cable modem. What is the best
    : way to connect this wireless router to my system?

    : Can I leave the Linksys router connected to the two desktop
    : computers and connect the wireless router to the Linksys? (I would
    : rather do it this way because I do not want to mess around with my
    : brother's computer.) Thank you in advance for all replies.

    You could leave the older router in place. In summary, what you need
    to do is:
    - turn off DHCP on the Belkin, to make it simply a Wireless Access
    Point.
    - assign an IP address to the Belkin on the LAN side (not the WAN)
    - make sure the IP address for the Belkin is either reserved on the
    Linksys or higher than the range of IP addresses the Linksys can
    assign.
    - Connect the Belkin to the Linksys using a LAN port on the Belkin
    (and on the Linksys).

    In Summary:

    What you would want to do is configure the new router by plugging it
    into one of your existing computers with an ethernet cable, then
    logging into it to configure it, probably http://192.168.0.1 (could be
    a different local IP address - check the Belkin manual). From there,
    find something labeled "DHCP server" and turn it off. What you want
    to do is make your new router an access point only and let your old
    router do DHCP (which assigns IP addresses to the computers on your
    network).

    Besides turning off DHCP on the new router, you also want to assign it
    an IP address, so you can administer it later on your network (by
    logging into it again, if you need to). On your Linksys, you might
    find a way to reserve an IP address for the Belkin. If you can't
    reserve an address, setup DHCP on the Linksys to be to some maximum
    range - for example, maybe it assigns IP addresses from a range of 100
    to 199 on the subnet (you don't need 100 addresses on your little home
    network). Then pick an IP address of 192.168.0.201 for your Belkin.

    Once you've done this, you should be able simply to plug the Belkin
    into one of the LAN ports of your Linksys with the ethernet cable.
    Plug the other end of the cable into a LAN port (NOT the WAN port) of
    the Belkin.

    Having said all this...it should be pretty easy to swap out the
    Linksys with the Belkin, and in your case that is what I would do.
    Your brother's computer is most likely set to get an IP address
    automatically from the router, so it wouldn't care whether the IP
    comes from the Belkin or the Linksys. At worst, you'd need to tell
    your brother's computer to renew its IP address but that would most
    likely happen automatically when you unplug it from the Linksys and
    plug it into the Belkin.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Apr 26, 2005

  3. The starting address on the Linksys is 192.168.1.100. The number of
    DHCP users is 50. So I could set the Belkin as 192.168.1.201,
    right?
    I found this on page 64 of the manual:
    Using the Access Point Mode
    Note: This advanced feature should be employed by advanced users
    only. The Router can be configured to work as a wireless network
    access point. Using this mode will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature
    and DHCP server. In Access Point (AP) mode, the Router will need to
    be configured with an IP address that is in the same subnet as the
    rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP address
    is 192.168.2.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. These can be
    customized for your need.

    1. Enable the AP mode my selecting "Enable" in the "Use as Access
    Point only" page. When you select this option, you will be able to
    change the IP settings.
    2. Set your IP settings to match your network. Click "Apply
    Changes".
    3. Connect a cable from the WAN port on the Router to your
    existing network.
    I am not quite sure what a subnet is. The Linksys' IP Address is
    192.168.1.1. Would any address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255 be
    in the same subnet?
    The installation instructions for the Belkin say to run the
    installation software first before connecting the router. The
    installation instructions assume that the user has one computer
    connected directly to a cable modem.

    If I replace the Linksys with the Belkin, should I run the Belkin
    installation software with my computer connected to the Linksys
    router or should I temporarily connect my computer directly to the
    cable modem? Do I even need to run the installation software since
    the two computers are already configured to work with a router?

    Daniel Prince, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Daniel Prince

    Andrew Guest

    : (Andrew) wrote:

    : >- make sure the IP address for the Belkin is either reserved on the
    : > Linksys or higher than the range of IP addresses the Linksys can
    : > assign.

    : The starting address on the Linksys is 192.168.1.100. The number of
    : DHCP users is 50. So I could set the Belkin as 192.168.1.201,
    : right?

    Yep. Just write it down somewhere, so you can remember how to login
    to the router! How about taping a sticker to the top of it with the
    IP address?

    : >- Connect the Belkin to the Linksys using a LAN port on the Belkin
    : >(and on the Linksys).

    : I found this on page 64 of the manual:
    : ___________________________________________________________
    : Using the Access Point Mode

    <snip>

    : I am not quite sure what a subnet is. The Linksys' IP Address is
    : 192.168.1.1. Would any address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255 be
    : in the same subnet?

    Yes, assuming your subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0. That's
    decimal equivalent of 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 in binary.
    The 1s define the subnet. So in this case, everything in
    192.168.1.XXX is on the same subnet.

    If you have a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, then everything from
    192.168.XXX.XXX would be on the same subnet. Anything not on the same
    subnet would be routed to the gateway.

    So if you your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, if 192.168.0.2 tries to
    talk to 192.168.0.3, they talk through the switch/router. If
    192.168.0.2 tries to talk to 192.168.22.1, it's not on the same subnet
    so it goes through the gateway. Make sense?

    : The installation instructions for the Belkin say to run the
    : installation software first before connecting the router. The
    : installation instructions assume that the user has one computer
    : connected directly to a cable modem.

    : If I replace the Linksys with the Belkin, should I run the Belkin
    : installation software with my computer connected to the Linksys
    : router or should I temporarily connect my computer directly to the
    : cable modem? Do I even need to run the installation software since
    : the two computers are already configured to work with a router?

    In that case, I would follow the install instructions by plugging only
    one computer into the Belkin and the Belkin into the cable modem
    (assuming that's what the Belkin instructions say). Follow the
    instructions. When you are done, you should simply be able to plug the
    other desktop computers into the Belkin and off you go. That's
    assuming all the computers right now are setup to get their IP
    addresses automatically from the network. Most likely that's how it
    is setup - if not, you should try to set them up that way, usually
    works better.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Daniel Prince

    Tom Guest

    Look on the back that wireless router also has 4 wired ports on the back I
    have one

    Tom, Apr 27, 2005