    Soon after I install it I get another notice to install it again. Been a problem for the last several days.

    Weird!

    Larry

    Larry, Sep 12, 2013

  2. Larry

    Steve Urbach Guest

    If you have any of the MS Free Viewers for Word, Powerpoint installed, you
    will be notified of those (named) updates.

    I have other updates on XP that fail (and loop), the suggested 'fix' , if any
    does not work.

    Run Microsoft Update: Custom Update mode:
    Expand the description for the failing update: Tick the box at the bottom
    That will hide the update in the future
    the selection Tick should auto removed
    Be sure to click Install to register all (even the Non) updates

    Steve Urbach, Sep 12, 2013

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I did figure out how to hide it so the notifications stopped. According to the update history, it appears to have installed sucessfully 11 times.

    Wonder if I should delete all the installs?

    Larry, Sep 12, 2013
  4. Larry

    Alan Guest

    There were several botched updates. Hiding them is the thing to do
    for now, and don't worry about the apparent updates. MS will
    eventually get working versions out.

    Alan, Sep 12, 2013
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    When I look at the "update history" screen it shows 11 updates for "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)", however, in the "view installed updates" shows a normal installation. Strange, but maybe it is ok.

    Larry, Sep 13, 2013
  6. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, it's OK, but it's not OK. Somehow, Microsoft Update goes off the rails and can't get back on track. This happens all the time with my XP Pro tower system, so I do a Custom update and check off the updates never to havethem installed again, as the man said. At this point, the best I can say about it is that it hardly ever installs a defective update, but that's notsaying much, is it?

    It is really agonizing to go through 170+ updates after a fresh install of XP with SP3, followed by manual installs of IE8, .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0. I was lucky this week to install XP on identical Precision T3400 (very nice Core 2 Quad!) systems, so I cloned the drive from one after all the updates had subsided. Saved hours.

    And then I could wax eloquent about Windows 7 updates. You are at your peril to run Win 7 with automatic updates. Think of this scenario. You are off somewhere with your laptop and power it down so you can catch a plane. But, OOOOPS! Windows 7 tells you that you can't shut down until all the updates are applied, 'cause they were secretly downloaded while you were working. Next time, you reboot, and twiddle your thumbs or maybe do something constructive while Windows 7 FINISHES installing the updates. And, even then, it may demand a reboot, too... Ben

    Ben Myers, Sep 14, 2013
  7. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Hi Ben,

    Well I shut off the automatic install following your words of wisdom. I dohave it on automatic download but told it to let me choose when to update.

    I guess there is not much I can do about the duplicate updates. Since the 11 duplicate updates do not appear in the "installed updates" window there is no way to delete or uninstall those entries in the "update history" window.

    I did notice on this last attempt to update before I caught on what was happening, the installation time was only a second or so before it stopped. Somaybe it sensed the update was already installed. However the update was noted and dated in the "update history" window.

    What strikes me as strange is the update was a security fix for MS Office suite which I do not have installed.

    Larry, Sep 14, 2013
  8. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    Any of the Office 2007-like add-ons will provoke the installation of Office2007 updates. These add-ons include Office Word Viewer, Office excel Viewer, and File Format Converters, the latter used by older versions of Officeto handle the newer office X-formats: DOCX, XLSX, PPTX... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 16, 2013
  9. Larry

    Rick Guest

    Microsoft quickly became aware of the problem with last Tuesday's updates.
    It was fixed by Thursday.

    One of the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack updates was causing the problem.
    They pulled one update and re-released it with a different KB number and the
    problem went away. Even if you are using something prior to Office 2007
    these will be offered if you have installed the Office 2007 Compatibility
    Pack to Office 2003. Or if you installed the M$ Word, PP, or Excel viewers
    on a system that doesn't have Office.

    The history shows that some of the updates were installed multiple times but
    if you go to Uninstall Updates from the Control Panel you see that it is
    only there once.

    Rich

    Rick, Sep 17, 2013
  10. Larry

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've simply had to refuse to reinstall over 20 XP updates. It's a real pain... Ben

    Ben Myers, Sep 17, 2013