    dismantle in order to see if they are there but held up somewhere. Any
    help would be appreciated. Basically, I am seeing if it is worth the
    effort of dissection or if I should take the external card route.

    Rory Deol, Nov 28, 2006

  2. This is a REALLY DIFFICULT installation. A laptop without a built-in
    antenna should not have an internal WiFi card. Did someone add the card
    into a laptop that originally didn't have one? If there is no antenna
    present, I would recommend that you just disable the WiFi card and use a
    PC-Card or USB WiFi adapter.

    Adding an antenna usually requires (in addition to getting the antenna
    parts, which may by itself be almost impossible) total disassembly of
    both the lid and the base, and usually separating them from each other.
    As the WiFi card is usually installed below the motherboard, you may
    have to remove the motherboard to install the antenna wiring. A coax
    cable has to be snaked all through the laptop base and through one of
    the hinges into the lid, which often requires disassembly of the lid
    hinges. then you have to remove the LCD from the lid to snake the wires
    and install the antenna behind the LCD panel. It's not absolutely
    impossible, but it's a difficult installation, and compared to just
    using a PC Card or USB WiFi adapter, it's hard to justify the trouble
    and expense (and risk of doing tremendous damage if you screw up).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Rory Deol

    Rory Deol Guest

    Well that answers that. I think I will go the external route. Thanks
    for the warning!

    Rory Deol, Nov 28, 2006