Installing ATI drivers ,Mandrake 9.1. HELP. Almost there!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Waz, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Waz

    Waz Guest

    I have been trying to get the ATI linux drivers working on my system.
    Mandrake 9.1 installed this year over 9.0. Radeon 9500 pro.
    I have been cautiously trying more and more daring stunts with linux, slowly
    over the last few months, but I still find myself lost at times.
    I hope someone can help me with my recent death defying stunt, the ATI
    driver.

    I --forced the rpm for xf86-4.3 setup.
    I got the warning...

    *** WARNING ***
    Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
    You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
    and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
    Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
    in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.

    Section 2.4 from the readme.txt file tries to explain how to procede if the
    above warning happens. It is a bit confusing. The warning above leaves out
    steps A, B, C, D and G so I did not perform these steps. Steps E and F
    seemed to work fine by themselves.

    Snipped from the readme.txt....
    Perform the following steps:
    A - get the matching Linux kernel source
    B - run "make distclean"
    C - setup that kernel source with the config file matching your kernel
    D - run "make dep" on the kernel source tree
    E - go to "/lib/module/fglrx/build_mod" and enter "./make.sh"
    F - go to "/lib/module/fglrx" and enter "./make_install.sh"

    G Enter /lib/module/fglrx/build_mod and enter (as root) "./make.sh".

    OK, so now I have a file called flgrx.o sitting in lib/modules/fglrx.
    Where do I put it and what do I do when it gets there? I find the
    instructions on what to do at this point vague and mysterious.

    I have logged in with the x windows active. Mesa gears crawls when compared
    to what I see when I run Mesa gears on (other)system with matrox G400 video.

    I have typed fglrxinfo (as described in section 4 of the readme.txt) and
    came up with Display: :0.0 Screen 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL Renerer string: MesaGLX indirect
    OpenGL Version string: 1.3Mesa 4.0.4

    Section 4 states ...

    "To check, if 3D acceleration is working properly, use the
    'fglrxinfo' program installed together with the FireGL 8700/8800
    driver.

    To run the test program enter:

    fglrxinfo

    Typical output information (3D acceleration is working properly)
    may read like this:

    OpenGL vendor string: ATI
    OpenGL renderer string: FireGL 8700/8800
    OpenGL version string: 1.2.1234 (1.2.3)"

    I do not get the above info.
    What do I do to get this thing running as close to 100% as possible??

    Many thanks.

    Waz

    Waz, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Waz

    ANTant Guest

    I had similar problems with Red Hat Linux 7.2. I had to use the original
    source of Kernel 2.4.20 (not RPMs). Once Kernel works, then I did the ATI
    driver. I also ran into DRM issue (need to turn these off in Kernel).

    --
    "No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

    ANTant, Sep 25, 2003