Installing DDR2 RAM

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Xenor, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Xenor

Xenor

Hey all,
    I'm not a novice when it comes to building machines, but I am new to overclocking & memory tweaking.

The short of my problem: I've just purchased a new system [Intel E6600, MSI 975X Platinum Power Up, Corsair 800 MHz DDR2 (2x1GB PC2-6400 CAS4)] and upon first boot, the RAM only reported as 667. After a quick recheck, I realized that I didn't install it dual-channel (that is the better way, yes?) so I moved the memory so that one was in each bank. It still reported as 667, although it was now reporting as dual-channel. I went into the BIOS, and manually set the clock ratio to 1:1.5 (have no idea why I needed to do this, or even if I should have) and the cas latency to 4 and the voltage to 2.1 (as reported on the RAM box) .

So, for those familair with MSI BIOS, how should I be setting up my RAM so that it is working optimally but not overclocked. I would have thought that the RAM would have reported as 800Mhz from the get-go and that I wouldn't have had to tweak any BIOS settings. I'm a little nervous about overclocking anything as I have only a basic CoolerMaster Elite 330 case and the CPU fan that came with the proc. I just want the machine to run at the "advertised" speed.

Thoughts..suggestion? An online guide about DDR2 RAM installation and or proper purchsing would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Xenor, Dec 24, 2006
  2. Xenor

billyboyer

billyboyer, Dec 28, 2006
Ask a Question