installing IAAR with only one drive connected on IS7(-G)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by A.M.F. Brijs, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. A.M.F. Brijs

    A.M.F. Brijs Guest

    Hiya,

    I have been reading through this group and saw that some people are either
    having problems installing windows on a single drive on the SATA raid
    controller and drives on both IDE controllers or having problems installing
    the IAAR 3.5

    I hav resolved it through the following steps :

    In bios set the IDE 1 and 2 controllers to enabled and everything on auto
    Set the SATA controller to enhanced, then set the SATA on raid. This works
    even if you have one drive on it.

    in advanced options set other boot device to onboard SATA

    You know when you have done it correctly when if you boot up briefly the
    message "intel SATA raid controller bios" pops up.

    When installing XP press F6 to install a raid controller with the disk that
    came with the motherboard. XP setup will then recognize all drives connected
    to either SATA controllers or IDE controllers

    Win XP will now recognize the raid controller and you can install IAAR
    without problems.

    Hope this works for other people as well

    A.M.F. Brijs, Jan 5, 2004

  2. A.M.F. Brijs

    Skid Guest

    Intel does not recommend using IAAR on systems that do not use a RAID array,
    even if they do have a controller capable of RAID. It is not for people
    using single drives or multiple drives that are not in a RAID array.

    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa_raid/raidonly.htm

    Not only will it not help, it can create problems with things like CD and
    DVD burning apps.

    You can do it, but there is no upside and a potentially aggravating
    downside.

    Skid, Jan 5, 2004

  3. A.M.F. Brijs

    A.M.F. Brijs Guest

    However the normal IAA application does not install on the ICH5 chipsets.
    There is a definite gain using the intel application accelerators, and I
    have found no issues using this setupwith just one SATA drive

    A.M.F. Brijs, Jan 5, 2004
  4. A.M.F. Brijs

    Skid Guest

    IAA doesn't install because Intel doesn't want it on the ICH5. Intel says:

    -----------------------------

    The Intel® Application Accelerator as well as the Intel Application
    Accelerator RAID Edition do not support the ICH5 I/O Controller Hub. The
    Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition only supports the RAID controller
    in ICH5R and will not work with an ICH5 I/O Controller Hub.
    If you have an ICH5 I/O Controller Hub, please use the Microsoft* native
    storage driver built into Windows*. The Microsoft native storage driver
    supports both Serial ATA and Parallel ATA hard drives."

    Why has the Intel® Application Accelerator become a RAID-only driver?

    Focusing the latest version of the Intel® Application Accelerator on
    RAID features using the newest Serial ATA technology was deemed as the best
    value add for desktop customers as RAID 0 enables higher performance gains
    for the platform than was possible with previous versions of the Intel
    Application Accelerator.

    If you have an Intel® 865/ICH5R chipset or Intel® 875P/ICH5R chipset
    and are using Parallel ATA (IDE) hard drive(s), you can use the Microsoft*
    native storage driver built into Windows*. The Microsoft native storage
    driver supports both Serial ATA and Parallel ATA hard drives.

    -------------------------

    Intel specifically tells people that IAAR is for use on RAID arrays
    only and can break specific applications, most notably CD and DVD burning
    tools from Nero and Roxio.

    If you chose to ignore Intel's advice, that's your call. Others have found
    out from experience that it's not a good idea.

    Skid, Jan 5, 2004
  5. A.M.F. Brijs

    TomG Guest

    yes, the IAA-R is only used if the SATA controller is in Raid mode with the
    Raid bios enabled. however, the only thing I would modify would be the
    floppy driver loaded by hitting F6... in this case, I'd say to be sure to
    flash the mobo bios to the newest version and visit the Intel site to get
    the newest SATA driver for floppy to be used when hitting F6 to install SATA
    drivers during the OS install.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified