Installing Linux on Vaio PCG-SR7K

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Zalek Bloom, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. Zalek Bloom

    Zalek Bloom Guest

    I installed Linux Suse on my Vaio laptop by removing HD from the
    laptop, connectig HD to my desktop and installing Linux. I did this
    way, because I didn't have CDROM to the Vaio. It was dual boot with
    WinXP. It woked for a few years.

    Now WinXP crushed and to restore it I needed to buy CDROM.
    I bought PCGA-DVD51/A drive.
    I restored WinXP, but couldn't install Linux.
    First I tried to install Fedora Core 5 from the DVD - somehow Vaio
    couldn't read Fedora's DVD.

    Then I tried Mandriva 2006 DVD - it read something from the DVD, I got
    initial screen about installing Mandriva, but next I got a message "No
    CDROM found". I tried all options - but with no success.

    The next one I tried was Xandros - I got into the the screen
    "Installing Linux" - but it stuck after showing "complete 3%".

    Which other Linux distribution do you suggest?

    Thanks,

    Zalek

    Zalek Bloom, Jul 30, 2006

  2. I believe current Vaio's support network booting: I've had decent success
    with that with various desktops and laptops, to avoid having to remove
    drives.
    Stop it with the DVD's. Getting all the drivers to work with the
    DVD-drive-of-the-month and the PCMCIA-controller-of-the-week in laptops,
    with the base installation kernel of even a few months ago, is begging for
    difficulty.

    For now, for Linux, if you have a problem with the installation DVD, try a
    CD next.
    Any of them, *with the CD's or network installation*. DVD's are still
    changing too fast in chipsets and format and necessary drivers for standard
    installation kernels to be considered reliable on them.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia, Jul 30, 2006

  3. Zalek Bloom

    Zalek Bloom Guest

    Well - with no other choices I removed HD, connected to my PC and
    installed Madriva. After connecting HD back to my Vaio here is what
    happend:
    when I type "root" for logon, I see on the screen: "r66t".
    I defined another user - it lets me logon. When I try startx I am
    getting:
    Fatal server error:
    no screens found.

    I cannot issue dmsg - because insted of letter "m" it prints "0".
    I am giving up - maybe latter I will try my luck with Suse.

    Zalek

    Zalek Bloom, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Keyboards from laptops are different from standard
    keyboards. You have to reconfigure it..
    Well - you configured the xserver for the card in your
    standard desktop computer. The card in laptops are very
    different, so - yes you would get a server error. Also - if
    you configured the card automatically on your desktop
    computer the resolution/refreshrate is configured for the
    crt monitor - al laptop has no crt monitor, so the screen
    size and resolution ar wrong. Try to reconfigure the
    card/monitor...
    If you choose a different keyboard layout (suitable for a
    laptop) and a standard vga videodriver you will probably
    more lucky. After the install remove the install source
    (DVD) and replace this by a on-line install source (visit
    www.zarb.org), otherwise you will get a error (DVD not
    present) when yo try to install something.

    You can also try a network install. Just put all files from
    the DVD in a directory on the desktop computer (if there is
    room enough) and share this directory on your network. If I
    am not mistaken there are images for a floppy boot and
    network install on your DVD, so you can make a boot and
    network floppy. This removes the need to have a DVD player
    attached to your laptop and also will give a better result
    with detecting your keyboard and videocard/montor..

    John KLoosterman, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Turn off num-lock on your keyboard.
    X isn't configured for your graphics chip (it's configured for the machine
    you installed on).
    Apparently the X configuration tool in Mandriva is called XFdrake. To
    attempt to auto-reconfigure X, run the following as root:
    "XFdrake --auto" (no quotes)
    See above. If you can't figure out numlock I'm not so sure you should be
    doing any of this. Hint: It's probably Fn + something, or Shift + something.
    When numlock is on, the keys toward the right-hand-side of the keyboard
    operate as a numeric keypad, their input thus being that of the numbers &
    symbols printed in smaller type / different colour on those keys. E.g. you
    will notice that the letter 'o' has a number 6 printed on it in either
    smaller type or a different colour. You will also notice that the letter 'm'
    has the number 0 on it in this same alternate-typeface.

    Carl Farrington, Jul 31, 2006
  6. A 30-07-2006 20:47, Zalek Bloom escreveu:
    Just check Num Lock. In laptops, there is no numpad, but some keys may
    be used to “emulate� numpad keys. In my Siemens Scenic Mobile 360, I've
    to hit Num Lock, and then Fn + o writes 6, and Fn + m writes 0.

    --
    Nuno J. Silva (aka NJSG)
    Lisbon, Portugal

    Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.7
    Gentoo Linux -- Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 Mobile Pentium II
    Intel Pentium II (80686) Deschutes - 334Mhz -- 256 Mbs SDRAM
    Intel Mobile Pentium II (80686) - 300 Mhz -- 64 Mbs SDRAM
    Intel Pentium (80586) - 166 Mhz -- 48 Mbs RAM

    -=-=-
    ``A man who is right every time is not likely to do very much.''
    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA

    Nuno J. Silva (aka NJSG), Jul 31, 2006
  7. Zalek Bloom

    zalek Guest

    Thanks to all for suggestions - I tried again to install Fedora from
    the DVD - this time I got installation screen, but didn't find any
    drivers for my DVD drive. I tried to use NFS install, FTP install and
    HTTP install - it didn't work either.
    My network card for Vaio is PCMCIA Linksys 10/100 PC card - I didn't
    see this card driver in the list.
    I am thinking about putting DVD image on the HD and here is my
    question:
    can I put on Win partition?

    Thanks,

    Zalek

    zalek, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Stop with the DVD's, serously. Use the CD's: they're just as easy to burn,
    and will probably work much better.

    I've installed Vaio's before, and it can be a bit of an adventure to get all
    the drivers into the base installer: working from CD is more reliable.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia, Aug 2, 2006
  9. You're using a Cardbus (PCMCIA) DVD-ROM drive, no wonder it's being awkward.
    You need to go out and buy a USB DVD-ROM drive. Just buy an IDE -> USB2
    external housing for £15 (~$25) and buy a regular DVDROM drive for another
    $25 to put inside the housing.
    This *should* work fine, as long as your machine isn't yonks old and has a
    capable BIOS.

    Carl Farrington, Aug 4, 2006