Installing Vista home Premium over Vista Business

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Daniel G., Dec 30, 2008.

  1. Daniel G.

    Daniel G. Guest

    Hello everyone,
    I recently bought a Refurbished Dell 1525 from Dell outlet. The online
    specifications for this particular machine said was loaded with
    Windows Vista Business. However, when I got the machine it was in fact
    loaded with Vista Business but did not include an operating system
    install disc of any kind. Also, the build sheet that came with this
    laptop states it should be loaded with Vista Home Premium but again,
    there was no OS install disk of any kind.

    I called Dell and after speaking with five different people and being
    disconnected once I finally found a representative who told me this
    machine should have come with Vista Home Premium and said she would be
    sending the install discs for home premium. However, today in the mail
    I received the DVD but it states it's for reinstalling the OS that's
    already installed on the laptop. I'm assuming since Vista Business is
    the OS already installed on the laptop, trying to install Vista Home
    Premium with this DVD would not be possible? Or, does the Home Premium
    install disc treat this like an upgrade from Vista Business to Home
    Premium?

    I figured I would ask around before spending several hours on the
    phone with Dell! Thanks in advance for any information.

    Daniel G., Dec 30, 2008

  2. Daniel G.

    Bob Levine Guest

    All Vista DVDs are the same. The only difference is the serial number.
    Once entered that will determine what features are enabled.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Dec 30, 2008

  3. Daniel G.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Check the Windows COA license/label/key on the bottom of the machine. THAT
    is the OS that should be on the machine legally.

    Personally, I'd ride with whatever version is installed and keep whatever
    Vista CD that was sent.

    Unless there's some specific feature/version of Vista you require.......

    S.Lewis, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Daniel G.

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I recently bought a Refurbished Dell 1525 from Dell outlet. The online
    http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

    Retrieve, store, enjoy.

    Colin Wilson, Dec 30, 2008
  5. Daniel G.

    WSZsr Guest

    Not the Dell Vista DVDs. It installs whatever is on the DVD label.

    WSZsr, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Daniel G.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Go figure. I didn't know that.

    S.Lewis, Dec 31, 2008
  7. Daniel G.

    Bob Levine Guest

    I have one of those DVDs from the Express Upgrade program and it asks
    what version of Vista you're installing. If the new ones don't do that
    it's news to me.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Dec 31, 2008
  8. Daniel G.

    WSZsr Guest

    I'm referring to the Dell Vista DVD that ships with the system. I know
    nothing about an express upgrade DVD.

    WSZsr, Dec 31, 2008