    Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
    hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.

    Jerry

    Jerry Cargile, Mar 10, 2009

  2. Jerry Cargile

    f/fgeorge Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
    <> wrote:

    >I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
    >processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
    >as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
    >find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
    >screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
    >drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
    >
    >So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
    >experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
    >
    >Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
    >hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
    >
    >Jerry
    >..

    Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
    and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
    DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
    thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
    back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
    the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
    use to do the install.

    f/fgeorge, Mar 10, 2009

  3. Jerry Cargile

    andy Guest

    Try running a memory test: (http://www.memtest.org/).

    andy, Mar 10, 2009
  4. Re: George and Andy

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
    >> processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
    >> as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
    >> find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
    >> screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
    >> drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
    >>
    >> So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
    >> experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
    >>
    >> Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
    >> hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
    >>
    >> Jerry
    >> ..

    > Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
    > and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
    > DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
    > thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
    > back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
    > the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
    > use to do the install.

    Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. I have a Soyo KT400 Dragon
    Ultra and an Asus A7V133 which I hate to throw away without knowing for
    sure that they are toast, but the computer shop wants $45 to check the
    mobos and cpus...that's each one of them. So counting my two Duron 1200
    cpus, it's gonna cost a lot more than a replacement board of some kind.

    Thanks again for your advice.

    Jerry

    Jerry Cargile, Mar 10, 2009
  5. Jerry Cargile

    f/fgeorge Guest

    Re: George and Andy

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:26:04 -0500, Jerry Cargile
    <> wrote:

    >f/fgeorge wrote:
    >> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:01:15 -0500, Jerry Cargile
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition)with a 1200 Duron
    >>> processor, which will not install windows XP. When I try installing it,
    >>> as it copies the files needed to install the OS, I get a lot of (can't
    >>> find file so and so). This happens quite a bit until I get a blue
    >>> screen error that says it can't be installed. I know it's not a faulty
    >>> drive, because I can install XP without a hitch on another board.
    >>>
    >>> So...I suppose it is either a bad board, or bad cpu. Has anyone ever
    >>> experienced this kind of problem loading windows XP?
    >>>
    >>> Any feedback will be appreciated, because I really like this board and
    >>> hate to throw it away not knowing if it was bad, or not.
    >>>
    >>> Jerry
    >>> ..

    >> Bad disk? If the disk has been used many times it will become harder
    >> and harder to read. If you have a boot disk you can try booting into
    >> DOS and then making an I386 directory and copying that directory off
    >> thedrive into that directory and then install from there. Put the cd
    >> back in as it starts to load Windows in case it needs something off
    >> the disk.Winnt32.exe is the name of the the actual install file you
    >> use to do the install.

    >Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. I have a Soyo KT400 Dragon
    >Ultra and an Asus A7V133 which I hate to throw away without knowing for
    >sure that they are toast, but the computer shop wants $45 to check the
    >mobos and cpus...that's each one of them. So counting my two Duron 1200
    >cpus, it's gonna cost a lot more than a replacement board of some kind.
    >
    >Thanks again for your advice.
    >
    >Jerry
    >..

    No problem, I have personally been donating those older mb's and cpu's
    to the foster kids at work. I have moved onto faster and more, as in
    dual and quad core, cpu's. This old mb does not support all that so I
    donated it too. I wipe out the harddrive and then put Linux on it with
    a genric name and password and the kids just love the fact that they
    then have something to call their own!

    But on the Windows machines I do keep, I have been doing this for a
    long time, it loads MUCH faster from the harddrive then from a cd.

    f/fgeorge, Mar 11, 2009