    2400's with Windows Server 2003. So..... anyone have any suggestions? I
    did try the one indicating it should work from BroadCom's site, but couldn't
    get my installation to recognize it.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Bob

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    If the 2400, or its NIC isnt on the HCL ... yer SOL.

    - Nuts

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Bob

    Tom Scales Guest

    Still a cheap PCI nic in it. Mine's running a Linksys Gigabit card and runs
    fine.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Bob

    WSZsr Guest

  5. what did you do for chipset support? nothing? other than the integrated
    broadcom nic are there any other red x's in the hardware list? thanks.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    That's what I was thinking too. I have been in Online Chat with Dell
    Hardware Support and they are having a tough time telling me which model
    card is installed. Notes say Integrated 10/100 so the best I got was
    assumption it is Intel Pro ... but no specific model given. BroadCom
    describes their 4401 as an integrated 10/100 as well and per some blogs I
    read it is also in some Dell Dimension 2400's. I thought the Dell Service
    Tag # provide them specific records of the system composition. The copy I
    see only says Integrated 10/100. No kidding, eh?

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Yes, but in each case it simply didn't recognize it or yielded a message
    stating Drivers were for 2000/XP only.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I did nothing.

    No Red X's anywhere. There is a yellow question mark next to Ethernet
    Controller, one next to Audio, and one next to my Printer. The latter two
    were expected.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Bob

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Wow!! How does it run? Have you tried installing the WXP drivers?

    Get a cheap gigabit NIC (one that has the drivers) and install it.

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 18, 2006
  10. the adapter is a broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated nic. it is considered to
    be on the pci bus.
    not surprised that the nic or audio is not working without the chipset
    support, and suspect that the video and usb is also not right.
    i would try a visit to intel and try to locate chipset drivers for the 845gv
    chipset. might solve all your problems. i would not feel good about running
    a windows os without it, particularly for a server (unless it is just a test
    machine)...
    http://developer.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009236.htm

    Christopher Muto, Jul 18, 2006
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    It is just a test machine, but I will definately pursue the recommendation
    for Intel's site. Thanks for the advice. Spent over an hour last night
    working with a Dell Support Rep walking me through installation of Intel Pro
    drivers. Wish they had better information available to them about what goes
    into the machines. The service tag concept is a great one. It has been in
    practice for quite awhile though, so it would seem like they would have
    started collecting more detail. Or perhaps the lack of information provides
    another revenue channel for onsite support and extended warranty purchases.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I haven't done much on it yet. Sure boots more quickly, but then a fresh
    installation of XP that doesn't have a NIC driver yet would too since I
    haven't been able to load most of my apps yet. I am developing a solution
    for a client and their operating environment is a WS 2K3 which was the
    ultimate motivation for doing it. I was also intrigued by reading
    http://geekswithblogs.net/bpaddock/archive/2004/12/07/16989.aspx

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    The Intel Chip Set ID utility identified it as an 845G. I am running
    Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 which already supports that chipset.
    Attempting to run the INF Update Utility for Windows Server 2003 yielded a
    message stating this OS already supports the current chipset.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Unless I am misreading this, the BroadCom 4401 is also on the HCL.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  16. Bob

    Ben Myers Guest

    Since the Broadcom 4401 apparently has no drivers for Win 2K3 Server, why not
    drop in an Intel NIC with 82557, 82559, or 82562 ??? These adapters all have
    drivers that work with Win 2000, Win XP or Win 2K3 Server, and they are
    plentiful, cheap, and reliable.

    As for the Dimension 2400 built-in audio, I suspect that you have to forego it
    on a server.

    What kinda printer? If it's an inkjet, you may have serious difficulties
    finding true Win 2K3 Server drivers for it. HP develops its inkjet drivers
    primarily for desktop systems, and I suspect the others may do the same. None
    of these companies ever envisioned a cheaper inkjet printer being attached to a
    server... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 18, 2006
  17. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Problem resolved. I downloaded the drivers from the Broadcom site one more
    time, burned to a CD, copied to the new machine, highlighted the Ethernet
    Controll item in Device Managed, right clicked, chose Update Driver,
    identified the drivers for the BroadCom 4401 one more time and it worked.

    I tried multiple times going through installing hardware and selecting the
    driver, but this was the first time I selected Update Driver. Live and
    learn.

    Thanks to all for their suggestions.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  18. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Good points. I wasn't planning on audio and probably not for print services.
    I'll move the printers over to another machine.

    Out of curiosity, where would you purchase an Intel NIC locally? They don't
    seem to be carried by CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

    Bob, Jul 18, 2006
  19. good job. thanks for letting us know.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 18, 2006
  20. Bob

    Tom Scales Guest

    I believe Linksys has pretty good support too. They can be purchased
    anywhere

    Tom Scales, Jul 18, 2006