Installing windows server 2003 on TYAN GX28 with MB S2881

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by frontwave, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. frontwave

    frontwave Guest

    I am experimenting problems installing Windows 2003 Server in the
    latest barebones we brought. TYAN GX28 with MB S2881G2NR (no SCSI)

    We adquired these servers in december, in the previous servers we have
    no problem installing this system.

    Tech spec:

    2 x Opteron 244
    4 x Seagate SATA 160Gb
    4 x 512Mb DDR ECC Reg Low profile (Patriot) (2 on each bank)
    RAID 10 with Silicon controller (integrated)
    BIOS version: v2.06.b12

    In the previous barebones the only difference is the processor: Opteron
    242.

    The problem is when you are installing the system it gets stuck, it
    gets stuck in any moment but generally when goes graphics and starts
    "Installing Windows"

    I tried some things to solve the problem:

    1) Install windows Server 2000:
    - It works with no problem

    2) Upgrade de BIOS. (Optimal defaults, safe defaults and several
    configurations, even reflash the BIOS)
    - The problem persists.

    3) Try a CD of Windows 2003 Server with SP1 integrated
    - The problem persists.

    4) Disable ACPI, ACPI2 and PNP (I tried multiple choices of these
    settings)
    - The problem persists.

    5) Switch the procesors 244 with two 242 from an old barebone.
    - The problem persists.

    6) I tried to install in at least three different servers.
    - The problem is the same in all.

    5) Install the operating system in the old barebones with the same
    source cd-rom
    - It works with no problem

    Any idea?

    frontwave, Mar 16, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    (known to some as frontwave) scribed...
    > I am experimenting problems installing Windows 2003 Server in the
    > latest barebones we brought. TYAN GX28 with MB S2881G2NR (no SCSI)

    <BigSnip>

    My own guess is that the RAID setup is causing you grief. Have you
    considered trying a SCSI-based RAID-5 configuration, as is done with
    most of the commercial servers (such as Dell's PowerEdge or HPaq's
    ProLiant series?)

    > Any idea?

    Two words: Call Tyan.

    Happy tweaking.

    --
    Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
    (Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

    Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Mar 18, 2006