Installing XPPro with SATA

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Will, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 875P Nero series MB with 2 SATA and 2 IDE drives connected through
    the promise controller. This PC used to boot but after CMOS was accidentally
    cleared it won't boot at all.

    Whilst installing XPPro I press F6 at the appropriate time to load the SATA
    and RAID drivers off the floppy, but after choosing the files It gives me an
    unexpected error (85) and If I continue I get the message drives not found.

    In the BIOS no drives are found except the 2 CDROM and DVD drives. Why
    hasn't the Bios detected the drives, could it be something to do with the
    peripherals part of the BIOS where PATA, SATA and RAID etc. is configured?

    I admit to knowing next to nothing on this section of the BIOS.

    The relevant web-sites that tell you step by step to install XP do not
    mention unexpected errors or workarounds! Perhaps there are just too many to
    mention.

    One last thing, when I first switch on I get the ability to alter RAID
    settings, Striping and mirroring etc. with the different drives actually
    recognised!
    Is this info. kept in the BIOS?

    Please help as I really am getting desperate to what should be a relatively
    simple process.

    Many thanks,
    Will.

    Will, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Will

    SP Goodman Guest

    Try clearing the BIOS on bootup - there's either a button-switch or a pair
    of unjumpered pins one can short during bootup to do this. Forcing a
    redefinition of devices might do the trick.

    HTH.

    --
    Stephen Goodman
    *