    with properly. I've read enough to know that the thermal pad may have
    bonded with the cpu, but have not found a lot of detail about separation
    and cleaning issues. Any clues appreciated.

    wheel, Feb 20, 2004

  2. wheel

    Courseyauto Guest

    I've looked around, and have not found yet, some clear step by step
    instructions for replacing an intel P4 3GHz stock heatsink and fan with
    a different unit. I have the new unit, and Coolermaster Aero 4. Primary
    concern is getting the thermal pad on the stock unit removed or dealt
    with properly. I've read enough to know that the thermal pad may have
    bonded with the cpu, but have not found a lot of detail about separation
    and cleaning issues. Any clues appreciated.

    When you remove the heatsink you will see a small aluminum pad that is stuck
    to the heatsink,once you get one edge of it lifted it will peel off. The cpu
    will only have some compound on it just clean it with some acetone or
    equivalent solvent. The stock heatsink works quite well.it is a
    aluminum-copper unit, the coolermaster might not cool any better than the Intel
    unit. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Feb 20, 2004

  3. wheel

    DaveW Guest

    Use ONLY 'Isopropyl Alcohol 99%' (NOT 70%) to remove the thermal pad residue
    and clean the surfaces.

    DaveW, Feb 21, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 21, 2004
  5. wheel

    Sarak Guest

    I know your going to think im nuts...but i have moved heatsinks from
    celerons and PIV cpus without changing the pad. Often thermal goes up 2-3
    degrees but have had them running for quite some time with no problems. I
    know your supposed to replace the pad but like I say in about 20 systems I
    have had no trouble. Athlon is a different story.

    Sarak, Feb 21, 2004
  6. wheel

    wheel Guest

    Thanks everyone, this info will be helpful.

    wheel, Feb 21, 2004
  7. wheel

    wheel Guest

    Thanks for the instructions. I this case, it's not heat, but sound that
    I'm after. The stock fan is pretty loud.

    wheel, Feb 21, 2004