    I've also gone to the BIOS and increased the AGP Voltage Regulator
    from "Default" to both 1.60 and 1.70, but I still get the same error
    message.

    idunn_o, Jan 28, 2004

  2. idunn_o

    Tim W. Guest

    Perhaps this article will be of interest:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/power_supplies-01.html

    Enjoy,

    Tim Wisner www.wisner.us

    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt (the Younger)

    Tim W., Jan 28, 2004

  3. idunn_o

    Mangyrat Guest

    plug the video card on a conector that nothing else is on. dont share it
    with hard drives or anything if you can help it.

    Mangyrat, Jan 28, 2004
  4. idunn_o

    PB Guest

    Send your power supply back to the manufacturer for a refund, and get an
    EnerMax power supply, they actually supply close to Wattage that they claim
    to.

    PB, Jan 28, 2004
  5. idunn_o

    John Lewis Guest

    How much current is available from your power-supply on the
    +12V rail ? Look at the power-supply label.

    It would help us if you would tell us what CPU, MB and what
    other peripherals you have installed.

    If there is no power-supply label, junk the power-supply !!

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jan 28, 2004
  6. idunn_o

    ~misfit~ Guest

    WTF is a "standard CPU heatsink/fan"? A celeron 900 usues about 12w, a P4
    3.2 uses closer to 100w.

    What make of PSU? Have you run MBM5 and checked the voltages it reports?

    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2004
  7. idunn_o

    william bell Guest

    The Extra power connector for the 3D card is not connected or is not working..

    william bell, Jan 28, 2004
  8. idunn_o

    william bell Guest

    That tells you F all as its not acurate at all, if you can get one that is
    made for the MoBo that would be far better or go and get a cheap DVM..

    william bell, Jan 28, 2004
  9. idunn_o

    DaveW Guest

    If the 460 Watt power supply is an inexpensive one, you may be assured that
    it will NOT actually generate 460 Watts of output in the real world. Many
    web sites have shown tests that prove that the cheaper power supplies have
    theoretical outputs and real outputs in the real world that are not the same
    or even close. You may need to buy a QUALITY brand power supply, such as an
    Antec, rated above 400 Watts.
    If you are using a high quality power supply, then its output may be
    failing.

    DaveW, Jan 29, 2004
  10. idunn_o

    ntl: Victim Guest

    Your power supply doesn't happen to have connectors specifically for case
    fans does it? A mate of mine had a similar problem with his FX5950 on an
    Antec 420W supply, I had a look and he'd connected the power cable meant for
    case fans to his card lol. After swapping the cabling all around for him
    (make it look neater etc.) and giving him a slap round the back of his head,
    his magically worked...

    ntl: Victim, Jan 29, 2004
  11. idunn_o

    Rick Flair Guest

    This wouldn't matter as all power connections route back to the same point.

    RF

    Rick Flair, Jan 29, 2004
  12. idunn_o

    Rick Flair Guest

    Suggesting someone use a DVM who never has is stupid, since all readings
    have to be taken with the system powered on. Its just to dangerous for most
    people.

    MBM can be quite accurate actually, depending on the hardware monitor that
    the board has on it.

    RF

    Rick Flair, Jan 29, 2004
  13. idunn_o

    J. Clarke Guest

    Dangerous? At worst one's going to make some spitzensparken and damage the
    machine, but even that takes a little work.
    MBM is neither accurate nor inaccurate--is the sensors that it uses that
    have that property, and they are sometimes not very good.

    J. Clarke, Jan 29, 2004
  14. idunn_o

    Bigguy Guest

    Yes but voltage drop in the cable rises with current drawn.....

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jan 29, 2004
  15. idunn_o

    FLY135 Guest

    The drop in the cable should be insignificant or the cable would feel very
    warm. However I can't say how the power is distributed in the P/S so there
    may be an issue with loading a single cable there. But my intuition would
    be that the distribution among the cables would not be an issue.

    FLY135, Jan 29, 2004
  16. idunn_o

    Rick Flair Guest

    Its effieciency (the cables) to draw voltage decrease with load which is
    true, but power supplies are designed in away that this shouldn't happen.
    Most descent PSU's have only 3 or 4 prongs on each cable with the right
    guage of wire to handle full amperage. I can see where a cheap PSU with 4+
    prongs per cable and/or insuuffiecient guage wire to carry full power would
    effect a fully loaded cable. So loading the cable could present a problem.

    So like alot of people are saying, get a descent PSU.

    RF

    So in the end yes

    Rick Flair, Jan 29, 2004
  17. idunn_o

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Too true, and, on my machine MBM5 tallies well with a DVM. I guess if you've
    got a crap board to go with the crap PSU all bets are off.

    ~misfit~, Jan 29, 2004
  18. idunn_o

    william bell Guest

    Bollock no High Voltages in the Case at all and MBM5 is NOT ACURATE at all.

    william bell, Jan 29, 2004
  19. idunn_o

    Kevin Guest

    all.

    Unload a cap through yourself and then tell me that again. Won't kill ya but
    doesn't feel too good either.

    Kevin, Jan 30, 2004
  20. idunn_o

    J. Clarke Guest

    Geez, I think we've busted an extraterrestrial--somebody call Area 51. If
    he can feel 12 volts at all, let alone be injured by it, he's certainly not
    human.

    And he's let out a valuable secret--we can disable the extraterrestrial
    invaders by electrocuting them with 8 flashlight batteries and a ten cent
    capacitor.

    J. Clarke, Jan 30, 2004