    volume with a Soundblaster Value OEM card. The Dell at work was probably two or three
    years old and was one of the slimline business models.

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 8, 2005

  2. DaveJohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    The new Dells have excellent integrated sound

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2005

  3. if your comparison was done with the same headphones (which can vary wildly
    in terms of efficiency/loudness), then i wonder if you checked the other
    volume controls... a single click on the volume icon in the tray (a
    'speaker' icon in the tray) will give you the master volume control. a
    double click of the same icon will open the volume control panels where you
    can also adjust the volume leve for wave, syn, cd. perhaps one of these
    other things are set too low on the office computer.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2005
  4. That's good to know. Thank you.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 9, 2005
  5. I had the Volume and the Wave all the way up and also the other controls were at
    the max setting. I think the Wave is the only other control that controls volume
    when you are listing to MP3's on your hard disk. Not everybody knows this so
    good suggestion.

    The computer was an Optiplex gx 2 hundred something. I think it was a gx-280.

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 9, 2005
  6. that's a pretty new machine and should not have a problem. if it is mp3's
    that you are playing then i wonder if you ripped them differently on this
    machine than on your home machine... or if you copied the mp3 files ripped
    on another machine. some ripping programs allow you to adjust volume level
    when ripping. a control that help level various recordings so that loud
    ones don't suddenly blast at high volumes... i would start with playing a
    regular music cd in the home and office machine to see if this is just am
    mp3 issue or a general sound card issue.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Strange, I tried two different computers, not the same exact model. One was a
    minitower and the other was a slimline. Both had the same problem. I think they
    had the same on-board audio because they both appeared to be about the same age.
    The slimline was an Optiplex GX and I think the minitower was as well. I think
    they were both the gx260 or 280.
    Interesting. I didn't know that. I'm sure it's not the MP3's that were the
    problem because they were ripped by several different people (I downloaded them)
    and all had the low volume.
    I've since moved on to another company. I really just wanted to be sure the
    integrated Audigy sound would be decent quality before I buy it. It's for a gift
    and sound is important.

    DaveJohnson12, Dec 9, 2005
  8. I would agree - I have a Dim3000 purchased a couple of months ago and
    I'm very satisfied with the audio. Of course, it is a backup system so I
    don't listen to it all day every day.

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 9, 2005