Intel BOXDG965WHMKR and RAM Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by iunknown, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. iunknown

    iunknown Guest

    I am waiting for this Intel mb to come in the mail. I want to buy 2GB
    of RAM to start off with.

    I am looking at either (2) 1GB Kingston 6400 modules for $120 or (2)
    1GB Corsair 6400 modules for $80.

    Price seems like a "no-brainer" but I'm more familiar with Kingston
    than Corsair. This is also the first time I've built a system with
    this particular motherboard.

    Any experience with this or suggestions as to which memory I should
    buy? Naturally I'm leaning towards the Corsair bc of the price, but I
    am willing to pay the extra $ if someone would say otherwise!

    I do have a Core2Duo system (ECS mb) that is running 2GB of Corsair
    5400 memory and the Vista benchmark test said that memory was the
    weakest part of my system. I attribute that to the slower xfer/bus
    speed, but I am not 100% sure.

    Any experiences, suggestions, comments or otherwise?

    thx in adv...

    iunknown, Aug 3, 2007

  2. iunknown

    Yes Baby Guest

    http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/d4207803_en.pdf

    scroll to page 12 and follow the links for approved memory.

    I have just fitted Matched 1GBCorsairs in an Intel DX975XBX MoBo and had no
    problems whatsoever................other than installing 4 gig in a 32 bit
    system.....only 3.25 is recognised.

    Yes Baby, Aug 3, 2007

  3. iunknown

    kony Guest

    Kingston budget memory is usually a bad value, unless you
    happened upon some with a rebate (often at a local store as
    advertised in the newpaper).

    Corsair has established itself as just as reliable, though
    of course some variability arises when some particular
    motherboard "X", may or may not be stable with memory "Y"
    due to other factors than the brand. Factors like the
    timings the modules use.

    The other factor is random spot pricing from any particular
    vendor, if the two above brands are same timings the
    Kingston should not (would be unusual for it to) cost this
    much more today.

    You didn't mention specific models. Memory may cost more
    due to being able to run at tighter timings which can
    increase performance by (usually only) a minor %.
    Forget the Vista benchmark. Benchmarks are only as
    applicable as they are capable of reasonably reproducing the
    environment where you need the performance. Running Vista
    itself, you'd scarely notice the difference between 5400 or
    6400 but in some more demanding application it may matter
    more - so your benchmark should be more applicable to that
    app. Even so if starting over to build a new system, 6400
    seems more appropriate.

    If you're willing to deal with a rebate and in the US, there
    are more slightly cheaper and/or higher performing 6400
    modules like,

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144062
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227198

    Regardless, since there can occasionally be compatibility
    issues with any random motherboard (sometimes a bios update
    helps, sometimes not) it is often best to buy from someplace
    with a good return policy, and if the modules where instable
    rather than only damaged in specific memory addresses, then
    seeking a different brand/model instead of a replacement of
    exact same thing again.

    kony, Aug 3, 2007