    closer to the die, and two, paste spreads over the whole die allowing more
    heat transfer to happen. temps ran pretty low considering this is a prescott
    P4.

    Kryptoknight, Jul 26, 2004

  2. If you are worried about the CPU heat sink clampling force, go to the
    following site and search for "Pentium 4 CPU Retention Kit For Socket 478".
    This retention kit comes with a backing plate that supports the pc-board.

    http://www.centrix-intl.com

    Frank Fussenegger, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Intel P4 boards are actually deliberately thin so they deform with
    the intel thermal solution. A lot of people don't like the flex, but so
    far it's not been a problem - risk being on copper tracks & such.

    I prefer it to the LGA775 solution, but that's because I hate LGA :)

    The bolt-thro-board HSF/coolers are preferable to the Intel design,
    but may necessitate the removal of the motherboard for fitting. The
    design is well proven - standard on 1U rack mount implementations.

    That link has D845GERG2L m/b for 49$US - nice price since it is
    an ok board and will take a 533-HT-3.06 (not 800fsb or Prescott).

    Dorothy Bradbury, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Kryptoknight

    Kryptoknight Guest

    do you mean Intel motherboard? i have a Supermicro board.

    Kryptoknight, Aug 4, 2004
  5. do you mean Intel motherboard? i have a Supermicro board.

    Still applies - skt478 board using Intel thermal solution receptacle.

    Dorothy Bradbury, Aug 5, 2004