    Manager (under System Devices) after the above installation process?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Harvey Gratt

    Quaoar Guest

    It has installed the drivers for each device. You can check the driver
    descriptions and check them against what is required for your chipset to
    verify the installations on Intel's site.

    Quaoar, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks. I have a couple of comments/questions:

    1. I had verified the chipset at the intel site and noted the version
    number in my device manager

    2. I then downloaded the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility to
    my desktop and ran it. It appeared to install the chipset drivers (I
    guess upon reboot).

    3. However, when I check in the device manager, I still see the same
    version number for the the chipset components. I should also point out
    that I think something may have changed since my sound volume and
    quality went way up upon the reboot.

    Some questions:

    1. I thought that you could/should install the chipset software prior to
    other drivers - I installed it as part of an "update". Is this a problem?

    2. Since the version number for the chipset components has not changed,
    was anything updated? Or can you not update the components except by
    reinstalling the OS from scratch?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    A quick note: when I check the registry (HKey Local > Machine > Software
    So, did I or did I not update the chipset drivers?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    According the the registry, you did update the chipset drivers.

    As a matter of custom, I install Intel chipset drivers after loading up the
    operating system. However, Intel's software drivers are generally well-behaved,
    and I would not hesitate and have not hesitated to install them any time I think
    that a client's system would benefit from the update.

    If Windows does not have Intel chipset drivers for the system motherboard (e.g.
    Intel 865, 875 or later chipsets), installation of the drivers right after
    installing the operating system is an absolute necessity for the system to work
    right... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks for explanation. Any idea as to why the entries in the device
    manager appear not to show the updated driver version number?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Nov 14, 2005
  7. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ask Bill Gates. It's his pile of software that we're all dealing with. Or
    don't ask him. It's just yet another quirk in Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Got it! The old MSBS. Anyway, thanks for your time in helping me get
    this sorted out.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Nov 14, 2005